Found under fuel taks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
B645DDA2-51E0-493E-A313-50FF0CE86551.jpeg

Started savings found under the fuel tank on my previous three FJ40’s. Interesting what finds it’s way down there. How about your experiences

Nice collection, I found 22’s, coins and the ultimate score... an original key to my rig.

I found quite a smattering:
* one 20ga shotgun shell
* lot and lots of change, and in the oddest places like the windshield latches
* my Dad's wallet insert that fell behind the glovebox, including his drivers license from '68
* vinyl window-stick toys from the 70s, guessing from older sisters on road trips

Oh...and lots and lots of sand..and more sand after that. :p

licen.jpg
coin1.jpg

coin2.jpg
PXL_20201109_224219864.jpg
vin2.jpg

Nothing really interesting, bullets, coins and a few other things. A couple weeks after buying my 68 FJ40 I high centered on the front diff driving over a log. First 4WD and didn't realize better to drive over both wheels at the same time. No jack crawled underneath figuring out what to do. Saw something shinny in the skid plate. Figured I broke something. Turned out to be a twelve inch Diamond Horseshoe Crescent wrench. I had been bouncing around on forest service roads for hours before getting high centered. Why it didn't bounce out I don't know.

Ammunition, coins, and rust, of course.

Interesting stuff. I wonder how much in $ is actually trapped in these 40's

Son's '77 FJ40 had a huge fire ant nest under the fuel tank. Killed the ants and found that the mud from the ant's nest had rusted holes in the tank bottom. You would think the gas would have killed all those little A**holes, but no, they somehow survived.

View attachment 2599571
Started savings found under the fuel tank on my previous three FJ40’s. Interesting what finds it’s way down there. How about your experiences
spare change, even a random tool or ammo but a full on magazine, i'd be digging for that.... or another example of how times have changed: when a full magazine was of no concern :)

Ammunition, coins, and rust, of course.

all I found was rust :)

One thing I have never found under a tank is rust . Have a 62 production FHT that the rear sill is really bad but the rest of the tub is rust free. Did pull the tank out of my 68 FJ40 once to clean out the blood from an elk. They was no way anything longer would have been to get to this small bull. Best attempt to keep the blood contained did work. Back in Phoenix it started to smell.

View attachment 2600300
Found this really cool Pearl beer can opener in my previous FJ40.

Have a bottle opener just like that except it's either Pabst or Blatz. Thinking it may be Blatz.

Will not under the tank I did find a couple of the spouts use to add oil to an engine. These were generally used in full service gas stations. These were in my one remaining FJ25 which still had the original jack. It had to long sheet metal boxes bolted to the floor in back which had some interesting stuff inside. My FJ45 had a camper shell on it that had a bunch of old fishing tackle. Bought the truck from the brother of the owner who had pasted away. Those two had some PO owner touches. Both had the old road side reflectors used when you broke down or changing a tire. The trucks reflectors came in a housing that was stamped with some county or city road department. The 25 the holder was bolted next to the clutch master cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom