** Found. Suspension squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have an fj40 I restored several years ago. I just bought it back. While he owned it a 4” lift was added with new springs, poly bushings & new shocks. Original shackles were used. When you drive and go over a bump it squeaks. Is the squeak because greasable pins were not used?

Thank you.

I don't use greasible bushings, periodically when they start squeaking, I pull the pins and grease them up. It's usually just the shackle end.

Need to use poly bushing grease to keep them from squeaking. I use energy suspension 9.11104 for trucks that do not have grease-able pins.

Need to use poly bushing grease to keep them from squeaking. I use energy suspension 9.11104 for trucks that do not have grease-able pins.

Good to know. I just learned something. I will say it takes many yrs for my bushings to squeak. I found this article. You can skip to the end to find their results.

Good to know. I just learned something. I will say it takes many yrs for my bushings to squeak. I found this article. You can skip to the end to find their results.

One thing I disagree with in that article is that nothing will degrade poly bushings. I’ve had many fail over the years, and almost every time its from some kind of oil leaking on them, usually ATF or Power Steering Fluid. I’d hypothesize that many greases would have a similar effect if used for several years.

Of all the bushing brands that hold up best to various oils and lubes, Prothane does (by far) the best in my unscientific experience in lasting the longest in a multitude of conditions. Second is Old Man Emu Bushings, followed by Daystar, then Energy Suspension. All do the job well, lasting far longer than rubber, and I still will (and do) use all brands listed. But for leaf springs or sway bar links, I try my best to buy Prothane.

Boy do I feel silly: I found my suspension squeak. Not in suspension at all. It was the rubber apron protector. Repositioned it a little and now quiet. Amazing it made that much noise.

Thanks to all!

IMG_3817.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom