Found rust starting in many places on my 1999 LX V8 (LC 100) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I have noticed that rust has started to form on many places on my beloved 1999 Land Cruiser series 100 (same as Lexus 470).

I found rust starting (under the paint) at the front of the roof, on the "frame" under the passenger side doors (quite a lot), on the tailgate door (opening up) by the Toyota logo as well as on the middle of it, and on the spare wheel holder in several locations.

Is there anything I can do to save my precious, or can I only watch her slowly rust away?

I am on my phone and members' location does not show like it does on desktop. Jesus Christ you people are nasty... really someone game me a thumbs down for trying to help someone out?

Any pictures of the rust?

If you post a few picutres that would help giving you a direction.
Re: back window, this is a typical rust spot because the rubber around the third brake light is disintegrating and water is coming down from inside. The fix is: a) unscrew the third brake light and seal it with proper material and b) get a bodyshop to cut, weld and repain affected section

for the rest, brush wire, rust treatment etc.

Any pictures of the rust?

Sure! See attached.

20200816_205037_resize_77.jpg

20200816_205128_resize_89.jpg

20200816_205033_resize_43.jpg

20200816_205057_resize_10.jpg

20200816_205115_resize_25.jpg

If you post a few picutres that would help giving you a direction.
Re: back window, this is a typical rust spot because the rubber around the third brake light is disintegrating and water is coming down from inside. The fix is: a) unscrew the third brake light and seal it with proper material and b) get a bodyshop to cut, weld and repain affected section

for the rest, brush wire, rust treatment etc.
Thanks!
You can now see pics of all the rust I have found in another reply.

Is the windshield original or was it replaced at some point?

Hello Norway!
Do you happen to have a link to any fluid film product?

Fluidfilm Sverige it is more for the undercarriage though. the windshield seems like the trickiest part. If you want it close to perfect again a local painter or sending it to Poland might be an option? PolenRep - Bilreparasjon i Polen (billakkering, mekaniske reparasjoner, skinninteriør, forkromming, understellsbehandling, deler)

It seems like most of it is a easy fix except of the windshield.

Fluidfilm Sverige it is more for the undercarriage though. the windshield seems like the trickiest part. If you want it close to perfect again a local painter or sending it to Poland might be an option? PolenRep - Bilreparasjon i Polen (billakkering, mekaniske reparasjoner, skinninteriør, forkromming, understellsbehandling, deler)

It seems like most of it is a easy fix except of the windshield.

Yeah, Poland or Estonia might be very good options. Thank you for that suggestion my neighbor friend!

Hello Norway!
Do you happen to have a link to any fluid film product?
This is why it’s rusting. Whoever did the install did not do it right, my guess is they cut the paint in the process and over time rust developed. This happened to me before and made me sell my old car because it got so bad, water was coming into the cabin. To fix that area, you need to have the glass removed, all the rust cleaned 100% (not just sanded, but most likely blasted or chemically stripped to remove rust from inside all the pits, then primer/paint and have the windshield properly installed with the correct OEM hardware, not the universal one size fits all fasteners/rivets the glass guy uses for every car. If it’s not repaired this way, you’ll keep having rust come back in that area.

This, plus fixing the other rust in my opinion is not worth the cost or headache. You need to understand that rocker panel and wheel well rust is coming from the inside of the chassis. It’s very difficult to repair completely and not have it come back, which is why most body shops do not want to warranty rust repair (I live in Chicago which is rust central and most chops here know what rust is and do not want to deal with it).

It might be time to cut your loses and find a vehicle that’s in better condition. Toyota sheet metal and undercarriage treatment is crap and does not hold up well in salty environments, this is why half the discussions on this forum seem to be about rust problems. Good luck.

This is why it’s rusting. Whoever did the install did not do it right, my guess is they cut the paint in the process and over time rust developed. This happened to me before and made me sell my old car because it got so bad, water was coming into the cabin. To fix that area, you need to have the glass removed, all the rust cleaned 100% (not just sanded, but most likely blasted or chemically stripped to remove rust from inside all the pits, then primer/paint and have the windshield properly installed with the correct OEM hardware, not the universal one size fits all fasteners/rivets the glass guy uses for every car. If it’s not repaired this way, you’ll keep having rust come back in that area.

This is sad, since the work was done by a Toyota dealership. I will let them know they are idiots.

This, plus fixing the other rust in my opinion is not worth the cost or headache. You need to understand that rocker panel and wheel well rust is coming from the inside of the chassis. It’s very difficult to repair completely and not have it come back, which is why most body shops do not want to warranty rust repair (I live in Chicago which is rust central and most chops here know what rust is and do not want to deal with it).

It might be time to cut your loses and find a vehicle that’s in better condition. Toyota sheet metal and undercarriage treatment is crap and does not hold up well in salty environments, this is why half the discussions on this forum seem to be about rust problems. Good luck.

Since I have had the vehicle since it was new, I have treated it like a baby and it would hurt a lot to see her go. Also, it is super hard to find a similar vehicle over here. But you may be right. I might just drive it for as long as it is possible, and then find a new vehicle. :(

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom