Found a pretty good paint shop in Tijuana... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am in the Bay Area. But very down for this type of paint job. I want to switch to single stage white.
I feel like if you could get the paint you could find a body shop that will spray it for you. A lot of body shop guys that I talk to you know that California pain is a bunch of bull****. Might say just order it from out of state and find a guy to spray your truck.

I feel like if you could get the paint you could find a body shop that will spray it for you. A lot of body shop guys that I talk to you know that California pain is a bunch of bulls***. Might say just order it from out of state and find a guy to spray your truck.
Yeah that’s a good strategy. I am doing a lot of metal work at the moment. The plan is to get it to 99% and then drop it at a body shop for a full respray. The issue has been the labor. To do the job correctly seen in the photos above people want 1M dollars. It’s kinda stupid.

I have a lot of parts squirreled away at this point. Doing the LS swap then going after paint. Check out my build for detail.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s a good strategy. I am doing a lot of metal work at the moment. The plan is to get it to 99% and then drop it at a body shop for a full respray. The issue has been the labor. To do the job correctly seen in the photos above people want 1M dollars. It’s kinda stupid.

I have a lot of parts squirreled away at this point. Doing the LS swap then going after paint. Check out my build for detail.

I took it to a couple of guys and they flat out said they wouldn't do it...they wouldn't even give me a figure. They said they could make 5x the amount of money vs time doing insurance work..

I took it to a couple of guys and they flat out said they wouldn't do it...they wouldn't even give me a figure. They said they could make 5x the amount of money vs time doing insurance work..
Yeah that’s what i have been bumping into as well. I did find a talented metal fan guy that’s gonna help me one panel at a time. I’ll need to tackle the body myself. But out sourcing some stuff will save me lots of time.

Still need a paint shop though.

Find the instructor but I’d go buy there and meet in person with the truck and negotiate.

Wow that's a lot paint for the money !

I would say well worth the risk/effort

So i have hey buddy who has had two of his fj60s painted in TJ by this guy. I decided to give it a shot because it's only $4,000 to $5,000 depending on what needs to be done. I dropped it off down there and left it with him for about 35 to 40 days. Had to go to Thailand for work for a little while so it seems like a good time to just let him have at it.

I completely gutted the truck before taking it to him and all that was left and it was the driver's seat. The original color on my FJ was Freeborn red, and I loved it. However, the guy that owned it before me must have taken it to Earl Scheib or something and they just sprayed over the original paint, and it had started to peel. Knowing that I live in communist California, and they have crazy rules on everything, I decided to take it to Mexico to get it painted with a solid, stage one, old-school paint that is not water based.

This guy did a pretty phenomenal job for painting it in his garage with no paint booth. Yes, I know that's a bit crazy, but the quality of work I saw on the two other 60s that my buddy had painted gave me the trust I needed to give it a shot. I can honestly say, that for the money, it looks fantastic. Is it perfect, no. Could it be better in ways, totally. But where am I going to find somebody that is skilled enough to remove all of the windows without damaging the Chrome, and put them back in, without damaging the Chrome, as well as fix every dent and what little bit of rust she had?

Anyway, here are some shots of his work along the way, and the finished product. If any of you are in Cali and looking for a solid paint job for underk $5k...hit me up.
Looks great. I have a T100 that needs paint. Can you share the shops name/number?

Did he paint the frame also? I might want to take mine down there. Not real confident in my ability to do a good job.

Just have to reply to this, I'm just across the TJ border in IB, and the TJ paint shop scene has been a thing forever here, but I do know a guy that took his truck over to get painted not long ago, and when he went back the paint shop told him "some guys came in with guns and stole your truck.." Looks like a great deal for the work done, but just saying, there's a heavy downside if it goes south..

Just have to reply to this, I'm just across the TJ border in IB, and the TJ paint shop scene has been a thing forever here, but I do know a guy that took his truck over to get painted not long ago, and when he went back the paint shop told him "some guys came in with guns and stole your truck.." Looks like a great deal for the work done, but just saying, there's a heavy downside if it goes south..
I hear you buddy, .. Thats too bad and there is not much you can do. I know how it goes down south, I lived in El Paso, 3 blocks from the border,my whole life
IT is too bad that car painting in the US is so over regulated to the point of making it finantially impossible to get a professional paint job even with a wad of cash in hand . An,d , here in the US. my experience is that the painters are much more corrupt than their counter parts in Mexico. It is so sad that the industry had come to this.

Thanks for the heads up.

t bone.

Does anybody have thoughts on painting in say Arizona(or other California border states) vs TJ? Cost, quality, etc. These Landcruisers are valuable, and if certain people see and recognize that, well there goes your truck. Even driving one in Mexico is not without risk. Cartels really like Tacoma trucks, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom