Forerunner shifting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a coworker with a 1989 forerunner (1st gen). He is having trouble with it when driving. It goes into first gear but sometimes pops out of gear. It can shift into second and there are no problems, but it will not shift into third gear at all. It will shift into fourth gear with no problems. What could be causing this? Could this be a clutch adjustment issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the servo’s need to be replaced... could be shift detents but my first guess would be servo

How long has he had this problem? All of a sudden, or building difficulties? Also check the shifter seat. If damaged or missing could have similar issues.

What engine? 5 speed or automatic? Miles? If a 5-speed, is it the original clutch?

The vehicle has only had 1 test drive since engine was rebuilt. He never drove it and doesn't know the history before the rebuild. He got it in non-working condition. The transmission wasn't touched, but the clutch was replaced.

Engine = 22RE
Transmission = 5 speed manual
Miles = 212,132 ish
Clutch is new.

OK, this is helpful.

I would check the clutch hydraulics (master and slave), and the freeplay of the pedal. Make sure the pedal bracket isn't broken under the dash.

Pop the shifter out and have a look at the seat and the bushing on the end.

Also check the shifter seat. If damaged or missing could have similar issues.
I would check the clutch hydraulics (master and slave), and the freeplay of the pedal. Make sure the pedal bracket isn't broken under the dash.

Pop the shifter out and have a look at the seat and the bushing on the end.

I have nothing to add except to support checking the shifter seat, and checking the hydraulics. The W56 is a rather durable transmission, and unless it was grossly abused in a previous life it should still work fine, even with 200K. Start simple before assuming something sinister.

Forerunner shifting problems

Also, while these trucks are capable of giving some of us a woody, there is no "fore..." going on here. It's 4Runner.:)

Sorry. I don't have one so didn't check to make sure it's spelled correctly. Didn't mean to offend anyone! ;)
I have a FJ40.

Sorry. I don't have one so didn't check to make sure it's spelled correctly. Didn't mean to offend anyone! ;)
I have a FJ40.
Now that should be an FJFore-tee. I have a 1969 and it arouses me every time I drive it ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom