For Sale - 1978 FJ40 (Washington, DC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately I have to sell my restored 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. This truck was configured as a daily driver, and runs beautifully. I actually picked it up in Georgia and then drove it through the Carolina and Virginia mountains to bring it home on a super road-trip (that is how well is runs).

There has been a lot of work done to this truck (engine, new transfer case, new rear differential, new clutch, chassis stripped and completely rebuilt and painted, front and rear suspension gone through, new brakes, electric power steering added, AC unit added, center console added, new interiors, new headliner, etc.). The paint and body are in great shape with NO RUST and only a few flaws. Color is Beige 464. This is a well-done restoration that still looks good. The truck runs great and the transmission shifts smooth.

PRICE: $35,000

Total Mileage: 84,431
Mileage after Rebuild: 4,000 (est.)

Email me at: fj40sale@yahoo.com for more info and pictures.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

Last edited:
Since this isn't the for-sale forum, I'll venture that you are looking for some feedback...

Looks like a decent truck, but money put into a vehicle does not equal money back out. You probably didn't get the best deal on this thing.

This is not a $35k truck. From the bent/leaning driver's seat to the ugly wheels it screams $15 -20k tops to me. Spend the $5 to buy a cap for the tube coming off of the air cleaner and hit up SOR for the front half of the air cleaner to make it look like you at least tried!

Invest in some factory steel wheels with tall skinny tires and a nice stock bumper and you'll stand a chance of coming closer to that number...

maxresdefault.jpg

Andy

Thanks Andy. Helpful.

I actually like the way it looks. The truck runs great - and the engine and mechanics are solid. Based on some other feedback, I've already ordered the cap and will be making some of those improvements.

Last edited:
rear door fitment seems too low.
weather strip coming off PS rear door.
interior paint not matching body color.
firewall paint not matching body color.
the crappy dime a dozen hose clamps, the wrong sized one on the upper rad hose
lack of caps on spare tire carrier tubes.
windshield hood rest pad brackets installed backwards
windshield hood hold down latches installed backwards, with none oem pockets for hook end on hood.
windshield wiper motor cover installed upside down.
incorrect rear jump seats for year..should have the fold down leg, not the rubber bumper.
hard top not disassembled for painting, drip edge on cap is body color, not white.
gasket between hardtop sides and cap appears to have been not replaced and is falling apart.

not seeing a "full restoration". seeing a truck that was in decent shape getting an exterior only paint job.

Last edited:
Wow, we're a tough crowd!

Things people will want to know:
  • Who rebuilt the engine/tranny/diff?
  • What springs/shocks are on it?
  • Details on what was used for Power Steering - I've personally never heard of electric PS. on a 40.
  • What do the floors look like under the mats?
  • Is the interior rhino lined?
  • What work was done to the carb and who did it?
  • Details on the desmog - what was done to it (carb, distributor, vacuum routing, etc)
  • Add pictures of the undercarriage
  • etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom