Folding vs solid solar panels - modular mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
A portable vs fixed question:

Would it be a bad idea to build a mechanism to mount a "portable/suitcase/foldable" panel on the roof and be able to pull it off easily to reposition when parked for extended periods?

Alternatively, and relevant to the 100w kit linked below, would it be a bad idea to build a similar mount for an solid/single panel and be able to pull it off to reposition when parked?

I like the modularity of having both a stealth/roof solar AND the option to position the panel for best sun exposure while set-up in one place for a while.

Renogy kit fixed

Renogy Folding

Last edited:
A portable vs fixed question:

Would it be a bad idea to build a mechanism to mount a "portable/suitcase/foldable" panel on the roof and be able to pull it off easily to reposition when parked for extended periods?
No, not a bad idea.
Alternatively, and relevant to the 100w kit linked below, would it be a bad idea to build a similar mount for an solid/single panel and be able to pull it off to reposition when parked?
And too, not a bad idea.
I like the modularity of having both a stealth/roof solar AND the option to position the panel for best sun exposure while set-up in one place for a while.
This is the typical configuration for solar used in overlanding - affixed to vehicle, then removable for optimal placement at base camp.

I am personally using the same 100w Renogy folding panel. I'd say the convenience of it is the ability to fold it and pack it away. Since you're basically wanting something that's always deployed it would be worthwhile to get just a rigid panel that and have it removable. You'd gain a ton more output with having the ability to point it directly at the sun as you probably already know. Only thing I do not know is how the suitcase panel and the single panel are constructed. Seems like the suitcase panel is constructed in a way that its meant to be moved around and can probably hold up to any kind of flexing. The single panel may be constructed the same way. I've just never seen a single panel in person to see how they are made.

I have the 100w suitcase panel and sort of wish I had gone with the 200w suitcase panel. Right now 100 watts is enough but more is better because you can't always count on it being full sun all day so I feel like its better to have some extra panel. Problem is just hauling it around.

Well strictly speaking, a folder isn't deployed until you're at your destination.
A rigid is more suited to exterior mounting while on the move.

Well strictly speaking, a folder isn't deployed until you're at your destination.
A rigid is more suited to exterior mounting while on the move.

Thus my question about making either panel usable in either position/mount.

I would look into the hinges on the foldable panel to make sure they are strong enough to withstand relative wind load when moving, or mount the foldable in such a way that the hinges are not stressed while moving. Cuz I doubt those foldable panels are intended to be mounted rigidly in the first place.

Thus my question about making either panel usable in either position/mount.
Right, both can do both.
But the flexis/folders require a bit more support to withstand the rigors of exterior mounting (wind pressure at speed primarily), and then too, to be removable. You're kinda making the flexi/folder more rigid as a result.
There's always the option of using both - a rigid, mounted permanent. Then break out a folder for base camp.

But to use just one type, the rigid requires no additional support for exterior mounting. And the mount facilitates its removal for use at camp.

seems to me that the whole point of the foldable is that it's easier to store in a vehicle. Maybe a bit less cumbersome to move around by hand when folded too but that seems less important. So really, I'm not seeing the big advantage of mounting a foldable on the roof. For one thing, you can mount a rigid panel on the roof so that it's tiltable, so that would help some. And taking a foldable down to reposition and then remounting it up top all the time will get old fast. I would either mount a rigid on the roof or store a foldable in the truck...

I would mount the fixed panel on vehicle and get a second mobile unit for positioning, the charge controllers accept multiple panels, no reason to be removing the roof panel IMO.

^ from what I understand, it is possible to connect multiple panels to a single controller (assuming limits on voltage and current, and the wiring capabilities are not exceeded) BUT that is generally not great/optimal (if there is a single input) unless the panels are identical. Typically, I think you end up losing power that way, possibly a lot, something along the line of both panels adjusting to the lower current or voltage production of the two. Now, you'd end up with more power than with just the one panel, so that's something, but not what one might expect at first.

I have some Renogy panels and have had no trouble with them so far (light use really), but I bought an inexpensive Renogy PWM controller once for testing with a scope -from memory it was a Voyager like in the link above in fact- and it was very poor quality and was in fact shipped defective twice. And the customer service was offensively bad. Never again. I'll gladly pay the premium to have Victrons.

I have some Renogy panels and have had no trouble with them so far (light use really), but I bought an inexpensive Renogy PWM controller once for testing with a scope -from memory it was a Voyager like in the link above in fact- and it was very poor quality and was in fact shipped defective twice. And the customer service was offensively bad. Never again. I'll gladly pay the premium to have Victrons.
i got a bad voyager as well. cs was ok. they warrantied a sketch ebay buy and sent me a new one.
i updated to a Morningstar mppt

I have a quad splitter tied to solar controller panel IN , it is easy to plug/unplug up to 4 panels , yes its the cheap push together plugs but they have been good for years, they are not exposed to elements( the connections) , I have done exactly that, when vehicle rooftop panel shaded, plug in a remote panel, I have not found that the producing panel reduces due to shaded panel, the comtroller has a minimum volt to start passing thru, it cuts out like a rev limiter if voltage to high, I can also just unplug the shaded panel if it is for some reason dragging the system down. I can also plug someone elses panel in if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom