Fogging up in freezing weather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble with my 2013 fogging up, really badly. This is the first winter for me with this vehicle. The AC worked fine in the heat of summer, but now the compressor seems to be short cycling and is just not putting out enough dry air on the windshield.

It's bad at 32 degrees F, horrible and unsafe at 20 degrees F (I have a hard time seeing well enough for driving). I have to keep it in defrost mode and I am still wiping moisture off the windshield and side windows.

I plan to get the system evacuated, leak checked and recharged. I am pretty sure the condensate drain is open (it left puddles in summer) and I store the truck indoors and it has no water entry problems - all the carpets are dry

Other than a loss of freon, from a failed seal or maybe a rock strike on the condenser, is there anything else I should consider? Bad pressure switch? Where are the high and low switches located?

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA

I know this is a little to simple if a response, but how old is your cabin air filter?

I know this is a little to simple if a response, but how old is your cabin air filter?
I haven't looked at it lately but I replaced it in May 2017 when I bought the truck. The old filter didn't look at all bad. There are no airflow problems, it blows like crazy but the air just doesn't seem to be dry enough. All the HVAC switching functions seem to work well (Recirc, Defrost, etc.)

As easy it is to check, I will take a look at it. Maybe there is debris on top.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I had an issue with condensation on the windshield and it ended up being some wet towels I accidentally left in the rig. Took them out and no more issues. Not sure if this is the same issue as yours, but doesn't hurt to try.

I Make sure I have the AC button on, It helps with the condensation and I never have a problem. Make sure you are drawing outside air too, so if you did your cabin filter something may be up with the recirculating air.

Speaking of cabin filters.......are you sure the recirculate-fresh function is working? The switch may indicate it is, but unless the door in front of the cabin filter is opening and closing, yours may be stuck on recirculate. There have been recent reports here that sometimes the door is forced open to get at the filter by those who don't know the proper procedure and when it is, the mechanism that controls the door can be jammed open (on recirculate). Take the cover off (as if you are going to change the filter) and make sure the door moves when you push the recirculate-fresh button. It sounds like you're getting way too much moisture retained inside the cabin, so that door may be stuck open. The AC isn't going to run at much below freezing temps anyway (like the 20F you mentioned), indicating you have problems not related to the AC.

with the AC button on and outside air I have never had an issue

A/C off, recirculate off, need fresh air with low humidity. If the sys is working properly you may have to hit the climate button for the screen menu then choose def/foot and at least 50% fan speed to override the auto climate for a while before going back to auto. If it is really cold like here yesterday at -5 f below, then try the defrost only button just below the screen.

The 2 wet dogs in the back seat wasn't helping my window fogging problem but the windshield and left and right front windows stayed clear.

I pulled the cabin filter and found that the Recirculate door is busted where the linkage shaft attaches. I am moving this discussion to THIS thread:

Cabin Filter Change and the Recirculation Flap Issues FIXED

It really pisses me off since when I bought the truck in May there was a 90 day warranty, which has now lapsed.

Thanks everybody.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom