Fog light mounting help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I have a 80 series 1997 40th Anniversary edition LC. Im looking for some help/suggestions on where to put some fog lights I just purchased. My LC has a stock bumper and id like to put the two lights in front of the grill and inside the head lamps sitting on top of the front bumper. Is there a factory hole anywhere to mount the lights or is it typical to have to drill into the front bumper? Thanks for any help!

These look real good.

Pretty sure you'll have to drill into the bumper, what model lights did you buy? Might be able to fit them in the intakes of the bumper.

Reactions: J2P
Old Cibie fog lamps... not sure they would fit in there and not trying to cut up the bumper as much as possible.

2D49F8FC-A144-4ADB-A091-EBC8B1525BE9.JPG

If you really don't want to cut the bumper, you could use the top bumper bolts (just inboard of the sacrificial wings) and make a low rise saddle bracket, connecting the left and right side bolts for strength and support. I did this on one of my previous 80s and (IMO) they looked good. Doing a bracket like this also allows you to determine how high they sit off the bumper (there will be a minimum height since you need to secure them to the bracket) and also allows you to determine where aesthetically the look the best from side to side.

*Note: After driving with them for about a year I did modify my original bracket with two rubber bump stops to reduce some of the flex I was see while driving.

If you really don't want to cut the bumper, you could use the top bumper bolts (just inboard of the sacrificial wings) and make a low rise saddle bracket, connecting the left and right side bolts for strength and support. I did this on one of my previous 80s and (IMO) they looked good. Doing a bracket like this also allows you to determine how high they sit off the bumper (there will be a minimum height since you need to secure them to the bracket) and also allows you to determine where aesthetically the look the best from side to side.

*Note: After driving with them for about a year I did modify my original bracket with two rubber bump stops to reduce some of the flex I was see while driving.
Ok thank you for the reply. So below is a picture of what i assume are the bumper bolts. Am I correct?

IMG_8394.jpg

Ok thank you for the reply. So below is a picture of what i assume are the bumper bolts. Am I correct?

View attachment 3326120
Yes, I ended up pulling those and making the bracket around them. Like I said I did a saddle type bracket and it worked good. I did see some deflection but I had some Hellas that were similar to the 6" FF spots but had a yaw sensor so they were a little heavier. I would imagine yours wont be heavy enough to see a noticeable bounce for that short span and might not need the two rubber bumpers as I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Yes, I ended up pulling those and making the bracket around them. Like I said I did a saddle type bracket and it worked good. I did see some deflection but I had some Hellas that were similar to the 6" FF spots but had a yaw sensor so they were a little heavier. I would imagine yours wont be heavy enough to see a noticeable bounce for that short span and might not need the two rubber bumpers as I mentioned above.
Thank you for the input. Ill give it a try.

Thank you for the input. Ill give it a try.
You can also build a "bridge" out of flat bar and bridge from one side to the other so you can choose the height and placement of your lights instead of being in front of headlights or covering turn signals.

I did mine to clear over the winch and it was set back further than what yours will be. It's kind of a trapezoid shape. _/----\_
This is what I did:
1684514566434.jpeg

Ok, so i'm going to replace the inside bumper bolts with the lights and have them run on the bumper. Does anybody have a link for step by step or diagram of how to hook up a aux light switch and run the wire and power for the lights? iI've done some deep dives into forums and cant find what i'm looking for. Here is the switch i'm thinking of purchasing and where I want to put it (id love to know how to punch the flat piece out). Any help is appreciated

IMG_8489.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8487.pdf
    17.3 MB · Views: 20
4 Pin Relay Wiring Diagram - Positive Side

just like this but you will also need to add a inline fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom