FN FX Pro or TRD Pro Wheels for 285/70s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am still looking for that perfect tire but now starting to think that when I replace tires I should replace my stock wheels/spidertrax spacer combo. I’ve been looking at the FN FX Pro or the TRD Pros in gunmetal gray. I need to figure out best offset and where the best deal is. I already have the Radflo 2” lift in, but might add some aftermarket UCAs too.
Tires I am looking at are the Nitto Ridge grappler, the Goodyear Ultraterrains, the Toyo AT 2s, and or maybe the new BFG KOs

Any thoughts, pictures, experiences, recommendations with these wheels (and maybe tires you run). I do mostly dry/lots of wet western Washington highway driving, with some dirt and muddy roads and also snow/ice on passes. And of course some trails and offroad when I can.
Thanks everyone for the great forum for our GXs

Have the 265/70/17s now but looking at the285/70s

You need to get FN FX Pro then. 285 need 7.5" wide wheels at the minimum.
Offset anything between + 18 to - 6 would be OK. I like +6 to 0. The more negative the more likely it would rub the fender. Anything more than +15 have higher risk rubbing the control arm.

I'm running the FN fx pro on 285/70 BFG AT KO2.

FH1A9730.jpg

IMG_20180922_192815.jpg

I'm running BFG KO2 315/70R17 (C-rated) on TRD pro rims. Spec-wise the rims are too narrow for the tires. The combo was actually recommended to me by Mudrak in Sonoma who says they put those tires on even narrower rims.

@Scat Adams has 285s on TRD Pros I believe.

Yup, Im on my 2nd set of 285/70's with the TRD Pro's, no issues at all with the 7" rim. There's a little more rubbing on the fenders with the General's than the previous ko2 as the generals are a tad bigger, nothing that a dremel can't fix I've just yet to do it since its pretty minimal.

Good luck,

Some major tire store would not mount tires to wrong size wheel. Although most would not even know/check unless its very obvious. Replament usually less of an issue but bringing brand new wheel and they might refuse to do the service for liability reason.

If you found one that is willing to do it then 0.5" would not matter too much. Off road, narrower wheels definetly advantageus. Less likely to break the bead and protect the wheel lip much better.

Thanks with the help so far...
I still haven’t purchased anything, I do have some tread left on theAT2s and am more likely targeting first part of next year to purchase...and I am kind of trapped in the paralysis by analysis deal.

Seems like i am leaning towards the FX wheels in gun metal grey. As far as tires go, I am just not feelin it on one tire over another yet. I like the AT2s I have on there now but they don’t do so well in snow. I like the ridge grapplers (don’t know much on these) and the Ko2s but some people say the kos are hard to get balanced and not so good on wet roads.

My driving is the typical Pacific Northwest stuff (wet roads, ice, snow sometimes and occasional dry...along with dirt, rocks and mud on fishing access and trails) and I do head over the pass in deeper snow. I wish there was a good honest comparison of these three tires. If anyone has real experience in rain snow ice, please let me know.

Pulled my last set of KO2s off w/ less than 10k on them. Not good in snow, wet or muddy conditions. Probably will get hammered for this but it’s my experience. 20 yrs ago BFGs were the tire to have. IMO the others have caught up. I travel a lot for work and run through a set of tires about every other season. My work trucks (Tundras) are always my test rigs and over the years I’ve run just about every AT tire on the market. I’m on the highway, mountains, snow, mud, messy job-sites and back on the highway for the trip home. If they are good, I’ll run a second set but most of the time there is something new on the market to test out. The KO2s were the new kids on the block a few years ago and my General Grabber AT2s we’re getting long in the tooth so I gave them a shot. They were stiff, and it was like driving on skis by comparison. Threw a set of Cooper AT3s on and they were great. Stepped up to the ST MAXX for the work truck and then the FJC because I mainly used it for fun and the trails. They were fantastic in all scenarios. Have ran 2 sets on my work trucks and have them on the GX now.
Unfortunately have no experience with Nittos. Had looked at Ridge Grapplers but with my run of luck with Coopers, I’ll probably go with the STT PROS.

Have you tried falken wildpeaks?

Pulled my last set of KO2s off w/ less than 10k on them. Not good in snow, wet or muddy conditions. Probably will get hammered for this but it’s my experience. 20 yrs ago BFGs were the tire to have. IMO the others have caught up. I travel a lot for work and run through a set of tires about every other season. My work trucks (Tundras) are always my test rigs and over the years I’ve run just about every AT tire on the market. I’m on the highway, mountains, snow, mud, messy job-sites and back on the highway for the trip home. If they are good, I’ll run a second set but most of the time there is something new on the market to test out. The KO2s were the new kids on the block a few years ago and my General Grabber AT2s we’re getting long in the tooth so I gave them a shot. They were stiff, and it was like driving on skis by comparison. Threw a set of Cooper AT3s on and they were great. Stepped up to the ST MAXX for the work truck and then the FJC because I mainly used it for fun and the trails. They were fantastic in all scenarios. Have ran 2 sets on my work trucks and have them on the GX now.
Unfortunately have no experience with Nittos. Had looked at Ridge Grapplers but with my run of luck with Coopers, I’ll probably go with the STT PROS.

47877BCE-0ADF-46DA-B0DA-CD5A2B4C6282.jpeg
F8146950-A726-4F5D-A42D-E11C130D165B.jpeg
FN F(x) Pro on my 98 4Runner with 265/70 KO2s. As much for the want for Bronze wheels as for the extra width if future build calls for wider tires.

BMC. Had to pull the fenders forward slightly and trim some of the plastic from the upper running boards.

Looks really good! Did you have to cut the fenders or modify anything to prevent rubbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom