Flat leaf springs. Average cost to fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 91 FJ62 seen here:

has leaf springs that are totally flat. What would be a reasonable rate that a person should expect to pay to have them fixed? I have no clue, and don't want to get gouged on this. I don't have the time, ability, tools or knowledge to tackle the chore myself, so I am going to have to have someone do it. I LOVE my old wagon, but the ride is pretty brutal. It has over 200k on the clock and the entire suspension is shot.

Thanks for the advice :)

Do you want to do it right?

Call Kurt over at Cruiser Outfitters.

Old Man Emu Lift Kit: $1600+
Set of 33" BFG KO2 AT's $900+
Another 30 years of cruising: Priceless

*Plus Tax, shipping and installation

Do you want to do it right?

Call Kurt over at Cruiser Outfitters.

Old Man Emu Lift Kit: $1600+
Set of 33" BFG KO2 AT's $900+
Another 30 years of cruising: Priceless

*Plus Tax, shipping and installation

Yowza!

I would love to be able to do that in the future.

In the meantime I am going to put new shocks on the old beast, and figure out what to do with the leaf springs. An OME would be extremely cool, but at the moment it is just not in the cards.

Yowza!

I would love to be able to do that in the future.

In the meantime I am going to put new shocks on the old beast, and figure out what to do with the leaf springs. An OME would be extremely cool, but at the moment it is just not in the cards.

Hey.. Don't give up that easy man. There's always a way... Check this link out and you can make more than enough for a sweet lift setup...

Click here!

You're welcome :)

Flat springs are the best ride you are gonna get on a leaf sprung vehicle. Take a close look at your spring bushings. If they are ovaled out or if you have metal to metal contact with the shackles, replace your bushings. It's cheap to do and if they are really worn you might even get an inch of lift out of them. Ride quality and driveability will improve as well. Don't try to re-arch clapped out springs. Just get OME when you can and be done with it.

Hey.. Don't give up that easy man. There's always a way... Check this link out and you can make more than enough for a sweet lift setup...

Click here!

Click here!

That is Awesome!!!

I may donate a few kidneys that belong to other people and set up Old Blue the way it should be!

It is only right to restore her properly, and it there are too many people on the planet anyways!

Maybe a better used set will come up in the classifieds.

An OME setup is awesome and will ride (IMHO) better than new. However, if you can't afford it, you should let us know how much you can afford so we can make some appropriate suggestions. There are cheaper alternatives.

And this is a perfect job to tackle yourself. I'm sure you can find someone who would be willing to help. You'll save money and gain some knowledge and confidence to tackle future projects. These rigs are pretty straight forward to work on.

Have u considered terrain tamer? They seem to be a little cheaper but they perform just as good as the OME. I am considering those.
Hopefully one of our forum vendors carries those.

My local spring shop that does these, they specialize in RV and Heavy equipment springs so they know what they are doing, charged me $75 per spring if I brought them in. If I brought truck to them it was an extra $50 charge to remove and replace. Since I was lucky enough to find a full set of OEM locally that had an AAL added and had been rearched some already I only had to do the rears. Did them this time last year and they are finally starting to settle. Very stiff for sure it theywill suffice until I have the money to do a full kit.

I was in the same boat. I wasn't ready to put money into an OME kit at around $1700 + new tires. So I searched and called several places for new leaf springs. But the problem is that by the time you buy new springs at around $200-$250, that's $1,000. Then you need to add shocks (cheap-o's at $60 each) adds another $250ish. If you vehicle has original suspension, then add in bushings, shackles, u-bolts and other hardware and you are easily at $1300. Even with used springs (that could be sketchy) you are over $1000.

I also checked the "Grocery Getter" option. That's basically all new suspension but at the stock height. That is about $1500.

So...I'm leaning toward the 2.5 EMU kit even though I might not change the tires right away. These rigs are awesome but many are they expensive!

So my 91 FJ62 seen here:

has leaf springs that are totally flat. What would be a reasonable rate that a person should expect to pay to have them fixed? I have no clue, and don't want to get gouged on this. I don't have the time, ability, tools or knowledge to tackle the chore myself, so I am going to have to have someone do it. I LOVE my old wagon, but the ride is pretty brutal. It has over 200k on the clock and the entire suspension is shot.

Thanks for the advice :)

1990 or 1991? what is the build date? Just curious.

Get rid of those big wheels. In general terms, shorter sidewall height = rougher ride.

Leaf pack replacement will probably be your best option too.

So...I'm leaning toward the 2.5 EMU kit even though I might not change the tires right away. These rigs are awesome but many are they expensive!

Your best bet... do things in stages to maximize your effectiveness and allow wallet to stop smoldering.. LOL
I got lucky as I found the original set of springs for $100, another $150 to re-arch rears, bushings and shocks purchased through a friends shop at cost so that was only another $300 and then new shackles, u-bolts and pins that I got on sale brought me up to $700 (and change) for everything minus a few miscellaneous tools.

Look into the Hell Creek Suspension kit as well. Not to be confused with Hell For Stout, they are more reasonably priced than OME (and HFS), made in the USA, and have excellent reviews and customer service. I don't think you can go wrong.

Hell Creek Suspensions, Inc.

Look into the Hell Creek Suspension kit as well. Not to be confused with Hell For Stout, they are more reasonably priced than OME (and HFS), made in the USA, and have excellent reviews and customer service. I don't think you can go wrong.

Hell Creek Suspensions, Inc.

That website doesn't look too promising or inspiring. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as I realize they are not web designers. Any information on the 60 kits?

If things go right, this next year I should be in a substantially better financial position. Reading these replies, it sounds like holding off and doing the OME may just be the way to do it. I can tolerate the tractor like ride for another 12 months, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom