FJ62 Speaker Replacement (1 Viewer)

I finally decided that it was time to replace the factory speakers in my 1990 all original FJ62. I spent a couple of weeks throwing around different ideas, but in the end I wanted to maintain the factory look, but with modern speakers. Here is a step by step post on the route I went:

Speaker used:

Rear = Kicker 47KSC6504 KS Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC65/Kicker-47KSC6504.html
Front = Kicker 47KSC504 KS Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC50/Kicker-47KSC504.html

I decided to tackle the front speakers first:

Pull the factory speaker cover and grill by removing the 4 screws and then prying the grill off with a trim tool:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Remove the three screws to remove the factory speaker:

3.jpg

Trim the 4 tabs off of the 6-1/2" speaker so the speaker grill will cover the speaker:

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Connect the factory wiring on to the new speaker, and install using the top screw hole into the factory hole in the location. Use included screws to attach the speaker through the plastic panel and replace the speaker grill and speaker cover:

10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg

Remove front door panel (plenty of instructions on how to this already available) and remove the front speaker:

15.jpg

Use the new speaker to mark and drill two 3/8" holes. Move two of the yellow nylon nuts into the new holes:

16.jpg

add the included wiring harness to maintain the factory plug wire and connection to the speaker. Install the speaker using the old factory speaker screws. Lastly, I added some clear silicone around the speaker to fill in the hole and to protect the inner door panel from the elements.

18.jpg

Total time = 2 hours and the sound quality was significantly improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom