FJ62 Rear 3-Point Seatbelt - retaining nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read several great threads about options for adding rear 3-point seatbelts to early Fj62s. I can feel the hole where the upper would be bolted but I do not know if there is a retaining nut. I have not found a definitive answer on how early Toyota started installing the nut. My FJ62 has a birthday of November 1987. Anyone know?

mine is also november 87 and I'd like to know as well...
@TF88FJ62 is yours manual windows, mirrors and locks?

Australian and European models had rear 3 point belts from 1980.

mine has the poverty pack...while I like manual everything- I even "fixed" that pesky auto trans with a 4 speed, I am getting old, and power assist is niiiiice when it works...I don't have to have electric mirrors, but power windows and an override-able keyless entry would be sweet.

sorry for the hijack...

My 84 FJ60 has the nut so I'd imagine your 62 does as well..

bunch a fart smellers up in here...

My "87 did not have the nuts. I am in the process of installing the seatbeltplanet.com belts, and taking some pictures of my install. I'll eventually do a thread with a searchable title. Should finish this weekend. The plan I came up with:

I glued each of two of the bolt nuts to a heavy steel fender washer using JB weld epoxy, making two "Flange nuts" out of them. Using the shop-vac, I fished some string thru the holes and out from behind the rear trim cards, toward the rear and and outboard where the most clearance to pull the nuts up into position.

I made a fishing rig with a 3/8"x16 bolt. I drilled a small hole for the string thru the end of the bolt and notched the bold on each side, so I could use a guitar string (G string 0.024" wound) to pull the flange nuts up (with JB on the flanges) into position. This is so I can thread on the nut to hold it there while pulling on the guitar string to hold in position.

Once the JB on the flange washers sets up, I can remove the nut and fishing gear, then thread in the bolt for the upper seat belt swivel. I did grease up the pulling bolt and seat belt nut threads to keep any stray JB from sticking to the threads or gluing the fishing bolt in there.

This is the trickiest part of the job. I'll post a pic later.

I think that is a winning strategy. I'd try that.

Post a link to such a nutsert. I could not find a 7/16" x 20 thread rivet nut or nutsert suitable for seat belt mounting.

I've looked far and wide but have not found one. McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, on line, everywhere. No joy.

I wouldn't trust my kid's life to a nutsert anyway, no.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom