FJ62 expansion valve - wrong part listed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I'm purging and flushing my A/C system completely because I had a dryer suddenly fail, along with the replacement fail during servicing. This made me wonder if my expansion valve had failed closed or had actually clogged, so since they're inexpensive I ordered one to just swap in when I flush my evaporator. Denso's website listed P/N 475-2087. As it turns out, this is the WRONG expansion valve for an FJ62! This is the P/N listed by both Denso and Rockauto for 87-89 Land Cruisers, but it has two very long capillary tubes, rather than just one like the correct valve has. As it turns out, my old expansion valve fortunately does not seem to have failed, as I was able to blow air through it without issue. I still need to verify that it'll close when I cool the bulb, but so far it looks alright.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 475-2087 expansion valve is NOT the correct valve for the FJ62! I'm trying to find the correct P/N since my current valve doesn't seem to have a visible number on it.

Thanks Spook50. Does the valve with the 2 capillaries physically fit? Maybe it's an upgrade?
To suit the new refrigerants .
From what I can see it is designed for R134a systems, but the second capillary has an open end that threads onto another fitting, which there is no provision for in the OEM evaporator. What I don't know is if the factory evaporator core has been superceded by a newer design that the two-capillary expansion valve is designed for. I would honestly doubt that though, since I ordered my current evaporator brand new (also Denso) in 2014. Must admit I'm curious now.

Hi, The whole system was designed for r12. I talked to Toyota techs years ago and they could not answer basic replacement questions I asked. That being said. I’ve had to stumble through on my own. Most all parts work ok with 134a but not quite as good as r12 esp. when the truck is idling. Mike

Hi, The whole system was designed for r12. I talked to Toyota techs years ago and they could not answer basic replacement questions I asked. That being said. I’ve had to stumble through on my own. Most all parts work ok with 134a but not quite as good as r12 esp. when the truck is idling. Mike
Precisely. That's why I was wondering if this replacement expansion valve I have was designed for a new style of evaporator that superceded the original R12 evaporator. Makes no sense that all of a sudden an obviously wrong expansion valve is being referenced by even Toyota's own OEM.

The stock system works MUCH better with R12, which is why I stuck with R12 until now. I'm now switching over to Duracool 12a, which from reviews is even better overall than 134a and even R12. Much more affordable and less effort for the compressor too.

So I'm purging and flushing my A/C system completely because I had a dryer suddenly fail, along with the replacement fail during servicing. This made me wonder if my expansion valve had failed closed or had actually clogged, so since they're inexpensive I ordered one to just swap in when I flush my evaporator. Denso's website listed P/N 475-2087. As it turns out, this is the WRONG expansion valve for an FJ62! This is the P/N listed by both Denso and Rockauto for 87-89 Land Cruisers, but it has two very long capillary tubes, rather than just one like the correct valve has. As it turns out, my old expansion valve fortunately does not seem to have failed, as I was able to blow air through it without issue. I still need to verify that it'll close when I cool the bulb, but so far it looks alright.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 475-2087 expansion valve is NOT the correct valve for the FJ62! I'm trying to find the correct P/N since my current valve doesn't seem to have a visible number on it.

i just checked TIS network @Onur , is suggesting correct path , its still a good part #

fits old YR van

&

8/80-1990 FJ60/62

call out # 88515

VALVE, COOLER EXPANSION

88515-870041987.08 - 1990.01

1592800292213.png

Last edited:
Why didn’t you just get the correct part from Toyota? :idea:

Don’t ya hate when you get what you asked for as opposed to what you needed...

:lol:
Knowing that Denso is Toyota's OEM for these parts, why would I spend 3x as much for a part from even the least expensive Toyota parts supplier when I can get what's still the true OEM Denso part without spending a mint?

Dozens and dozens of legitimate Denso and Aisin parts I've ordered before so that I'd still get the true OEM part and this is the first time I've had that issue, which is why it's so puzzling. What's funny is the P/N for the part I ordered (and got) this time is the same P/N as what was posted by @red66toy but the one pictured in his link is the correct part. My new one most definitely isn't. Checked the actual part to make sure it wasn't a case of wrong part in the right box, and sure enough, the one I got has the correct part number on it. Even shows that (incorrect) part on Rockauto and Amazon.

Here's where the plot thickens; I cleaned the built up dust off my current one and here's the P/N that shows:

Denso.jpg

Tried looking up several variations of that P/N in DuckDuckGo, DogPile and even Google with no luck, so it's a mystery to me why there's a different P/N being listed now that's even a completely different part! My current expansion valve was also ordered from Rockauto back in 2014. Denso does not have an illustration or photo on their site for the new P/N, so it makes me wonder if it's the same as the new incorrect one I got or the current, correct one still in my system.

Guess I can consider myself lucky my current one still works....

Edit: I did a bit more digging and found this on Denso's site. Now I'm really confused because this is how it came (with the extra zip tie and insulating wrap for securing the bulb) when I ordered one for "1988 Toyota Land Cruiser" from Rockauto back in 2014. But notice it's listed as P/N 475-0101, and look at the pics and notice the P/N printed on the disc. Also weird is that Denso's site only lists it as fitting Suzuki Samurais of that era. Either I've been drinking too much today or not nearly enough. Either way I'm throwing this out there because I know it works and now I've found the correct replacement for my current expansion valve. https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=11691

Last edited:
Dan

Any of this NOS is yours now just say the word

- NipponDensoND oil charge

-R-12 can

- NipponDenso oil ND-8

image.jpg

Holy hell, thanks for posting this, in the middle of looking for some AC parts.. I owe ya a few beers.. 👍 :beer:

IMG_1074.jpeg

Now, if can find the # for the comp gasket kit ?? 88335- ?????.. :bang: Or even Better # 88320-?????

MEF716B.jpg

Last edited:
For something as specific as that I’d have cross checked on the Japan-parts.eu then gone to TPD for a more sane price and then called my dealer who typically will match the cheaper price w/o shipping. Lots of checks but worth it to find the correct number and still get it from Toyota.

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Had to send the part back to Rockauto. FYI - I have an extra valve if anyone needs it that I will sell at cost.

That part number 047500-9011 brings up this [first one top of page] Johncool
Says its for Corolla 80-92, Crown 89-91,Land Cruiser 85-90, Hiace 85-87, Camry 88-, Mazda E2000
I am guessing it's for r12 systems?
That's what I'm thinking as well, since the new expansion valve I got specifically says R134a on it, which I'm NOT using.

Where does the other probe go or what is it supposed to do?

My a/c still has the original r12 tx valve, and it seems to run great with hydrocarbon refrigerants, so unless there's a valve that supposedly performs better with hydrocarbons I'll keep using the original r12 part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom