FJ62 EFI no Power at correct timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what the cause is :

Automatic transmission.
At the correct timing, its completely gutless. At slightly advanced timing, power is ok.
There is no engine knocking at the advanced timing setting.
RPM at correct timing hover around 650-700 in R or D. But no power here.
At advanced timing setting RPM goes to 1100 at warm starting,
then drops slowly to about 950-975 in P. Then hovers about 850-875 in R or D.

I tested the throttle body sensor in fully closed and fully open; this was within spec.
(I want a second person to hold the shim to test the slightly open position).

New spark plugs. The old ones were REALLY bad. Could not get the engine to hold RPM's at smog check. Changed the plugs and it passed with flying colors.

I don't remember when I last changed the air filter, but it's been driven only a couple thousand miles since then. And not in any kind of heavy dust. (Smog passed with this filter in).

Insulation around ignition leads seems to be ok (no spark anywhere along them when engine is running. I even grabbed them all after checking for arc with a screwdriver. No nasty shocks.

Kick down cable is disconnected b/c it gets stuck and the trans thinks I'm trrying to pass everyone on the road. Going to remove the cable and try clearing possible oxidation causing it to stick, before buying a new one (its raining a lot, so that's going to have to wait a bit).

Going to check for engine codes as soon as I can, but for now, this is driving me nuts...

Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi, Did you pull the codes ? Check compression? Put a vacuum gauge on it? Mike

Hi Mike, did not check compression or vacuum yet.

Just pulled codes :
42 - speedometer stopped working recently. Have yet to pull dash and check connections.
51 - maybe thats the TPS at slightly open-will have to check that. A/C used to work, but needs recharging. Neutral Start Switch was replaced a few years ago with OEM.
71 - EGR. Maybe vacuum issue here? But the low power has been going on for quite a long time without any noticeable difference. Since I'm driving it a lot more right now, its really bothering me that I cant find the issue. I've never had code 71 before though.

I just realized I did not apply vacuum to the EGR Port when checking the TPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom