FJ62 A440F leaking ATF from bellhousing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About three years ago I replaced the front transmission seal in my A440F. The original seal was brittle and fell apart during removal. During a road trip 3 weeks ago, I caught a faint whiff of ATF. Pulled over and found AFT leaking out the bellhousing. I was able to get home but lost about 3 quarts of ATF.

Here's what I found, front seal looks pretty good. So good I thought I had pulled this pig for nothing. However, a closer look reveal a thin (thread like) piece of seal lodged in the seal groove. It's about two inches long.

During re-installation of the transmission (three years ago) the torque converter did slide back and forth on the output shaft.

All I can think is the sliding motion sheared the seal??? then after 30K it failed due to being compromised.

Anyone been bit by something like this? The transmission seems solid, however, I would hate to put it back in only to find out it was something else.

IMG_1907 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I took the torque converter to a transmission shop. The owner felt the sliver of material was from the outside the seal and came off when the oil seal was pressed into the oil pump. I tested the converter with air pressure and it did not leak. So it looks like it will be going back in after I repair the O2 sensor harness that was flattened between the AT bellhousing and adapter plate(3 years ago). I have been chasing a ghost O2 codes that last few years, seems I may have found out why.

There are six wires in this part of the harness. Two the terminate just prior to the disconnect. As reported in a prior post, they do look like small coaxial cables.

IMG_0831 (2).JPG

Truck is back together!

So my working thesis(for now) is that:

During tran removal found that top transmission bolts were not tight - either they were not tighten properly 3 years ago or pinching harness allow them to loosen over time.

Damage to front knob of torque convert due to torque bind, another outcome of loose bolts???

Finally, front ATF oil pump seal looked a little elongated when removed.

Pictures of damage to ATF knob and front O2 sensor added. O2 senser wiring harness is a little strange.

Engine code is gone! :)

IMG_0843 (2).JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom