FJ62 3F to Ford “Barra” Swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody!

Joined this positive community back in 2015 and love the sharing of adventures, projects and knowledge. There are plenty of active people here on FB groups, but it doesn’t quite allow for information to be shared through a thread like it is on Mud. Try searching FB groups … So I decided to start another project thread here and share it with the FB people through links.

In case you want to see her, I registered her on the site here: Post in thread '60-series Registry'.

A few years back I set out researching the LM7 swap and tried to source an engine with not too many kms on it from the US for awhile. As I couldn’t find anything to suit expectations and budget, I thought I should probably pivot to what’s available in Australia. Yes, we do have V8s from Holdens but also they turned out to have become either too old, trashed, or just an expensive option.

So here we are, another Ford “Barra” swap. Existing vehicle is a 1988 RHD FJ62 vehicle with a carbureted 3F engine, H55f 5 speed manual gearbox and part-time 2wd vacuum actuated split transfer case. Currently at 425,000 kms.

Incoming: a Ford FG Falcon in-line 6 cylinder 4L engine mated with a 6 speed auto ZF6 / 6HP26 transmission and a reconditioned 80 series part-time fully mechanical HF1a transfer case.

I know a few similar swaps have been reported on the forum, e.g. by @Noot and @Matmobile, and more of these builds exist in Australia, but I’m hoping any details I can share may be helpful for others to come.

Bear with me, I’m enjoying and taking my time with this project. It will mostly be a recreational vehicle and I want to make it as reliable as I can get it.

So far (since Christmas last year), I have been collecting major parts and getting my head around various projects. Engine has been cleaned, painted and serviced with common parts such as seals, gaskets, spark plugs, sensors etc.

Have removed the stock Ford transmission cooler (a water cooled heat exchanger on the side of the engine) which will be replaced by a separate air-cooled, thermostat-controlled B&M cooler in front of the a/c condensor, to avoid milkshakes.

No work done on the car yet, but some photos of engine as purchased and done up below. The turbo that came with the package will be abandoned as the engine is naturally aspirated and this little project just turns out to be pretty costly, complicated and doesn’t contribute to the reliability I’m after.

Currently collecting parts from the US including a Tanks Inc in-tank fuel pump set-up, transmission cooler, Lokar tiptronic shifter and gear sensor / indicator kit. A used Ford Falcon thermofan and 80 series tcase shift linkage being chased here in Oz.

861882B2-D951-4A05-8AC9-05CA40A01853.jpeg

503715D0-6F86-4652-9DD5-0B3F2890E231.jpeg

8DB30377-A703-42BC-993B-71FC955DA7E8.jpeg

21E4ADC6-2F80-4800-A863-3242457D9B85.jpeg

B1F266D3-0F4F-41C5-9BBF-40960696C617.jpeg

Last edited:
am i the only one who's thinkin' he's doing this swap in his family room? :flipoff2: using the stair case as a reference. @Cruisunder, if you are, get after it. will be keeping an eye on this

Made some progress on the engine, installing a stock na exhaust manifold and heat shield. Also sorted the heater hose coming from the thermostat bottom going to the water pump, with tees lined up to accept the Toyota heater hoses on the firewall. Included a “H” shortcut to avoid reported popping of the heater core due to higher flowing water pump.
Added an in-line temperature sensor that will be connected to a gauge in the cabin. Toyota sensor will also be hooked up but want a more accurate reading than the needle on the cluster.

83E7EED3-CDE8-4882-9118-3BC4E346DD22.jpeg

81644ED2-695E-4185-8029-3FAE6A2164C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Other end of the drive line also saw some progress with a 2018 VDJ79 tcase shifter sourced and test mounted on a bracket attaching to the ZF6 transmission body. The bracket was made as a test product by a local business and seems to be nice and stiff and fits well. Thinking to build on this to help mount the Lokar transmission shifter.

A7B9F254-0CDD-45D8-A5AA-36FD701BCBAB.jpeg

C4F80539-BA97-45D5-8BAF-C419540819FC.jpeg

Other end of the drive line also saw some progress with a 2018 VDJ79 tcase shifter sourced and test mounted on a bracket attaching to the ZF6 transmission body. The bracket was made as a test product by a local business and seems to be nice and stiff and fits well. Thinking to build on this to help mount the Lokar transmission shifter.

View attachment 3429025

View attachment 3429026
Nice bracket

View attachment 3429025

View attachment 3429026
I'm wondering if that would bolt up to the 6r80 from Ford. Looks pretty similar.

Sourced a 60 series auto crossmember which is about 100mm longer than the manual and can be placed further back between the chassis rails. Photos are just before and after clean-up and touch-up.

F3213E49-D53E-4688-BF25-3555D0325A58.jpeg

Meanwhile testing / setting up the Lokar shifter cable linkage while the transmission is out and easily accessible. Will post some photos next time.

Made some progress with the shifter today. The Lokar shifter standard set up has the cable coming out of the rear of the shifter, so for that reason the transmission lever has to be rotated 180 degrees. To re-use the ZF6 lever which has a fair bit of sideways offset, I had to grind a little off the transmission cast body to give the lever room to move. I also shortened its arm by 4-5 mm to resemble the arm that came with the shifter. I had purchased the 6l80-specific shifter so I assume the arm length is designed for that transmission. I can't be sure but I'm thinking the pattern of the transmission shift shaft to rotate through PRND is pretty similar for most transmissions. Similar enough to make me happy with the test shift anyway.

IMG_20231007_170554.jpg

IMG_20231007_170604.jpg

Last edited:
Love this! The Barra is already legendary in the US. It MUST be a good motor to make it through the LS curtain.

I’ve been contemplating the “Ameri-barra” GM LL8 as a swap for our fj60. All the FB and forum groups deal with Turbos and AT setups though. Not much info for NA manual swaps yet.

Great work!

Love this! The Barra is already legendary in the US. It MUST be a good motor to make it through the LS curtain.

I’ve been contemplating the “Ameri-barra” GM LL8 as a swap for our fj60. All the FB and forum groups deal with Turbos and AT setups though. Not much info for NA manual swaps yet.

Great work!
Ameri-barra, haha! What makes you prefer an LL8 over LS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom