Fj62 1988 3FE engine block rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
I recently (a year ago) acquired a complete 3fe engine. I used it for parts to do a 2FE conversion on my 1984 fj60. since I didn't need the block i was going to sell it used, i had no room in my garadge for it so i left it outside on an engine stand and threw a tarp over it. one rainy day the tarp flew off and it rusted inside the cylinders... so instead of throwing it out or scraping it i decided to rebuild it,

I do know the engine had oil and was running before i got a hold of it. it had aprox. 250,000 miles on it.
The block is filthy and just about everything is going to have to be machined i already know.

Below are pictures i took of the cylinders. I don't know if i can have the side of the piston smoothed out, if anyone knows if i can please do tell. I don't know if the cylinders and pistons are with in spec diameter yet as i have not measured them.

I am in the DFW area so if anyone has any advice or can recommend a good machine shop please

20170322_192336.jpg
20170322_192338.jpg
20170323_194207.jpg
20170323_194216.jpg
20170323_194224.jpg

Last edited:
20170323_194244.jpg
20170323_194249.jpg
20170323_194256.jpg
20170323_194315.jpg
20170323_194321.jpg

All of the pistons and main bearings are in the same type of condition, they don't vary very much, I believe all picture close up are of piston #5.

Here is a link to a brief block walk around

those look like paper weights. I've got 6 that aren't as bad but just as valuable as they're too skinny to do much good in such a fat hole now...we're going to have to bite the bullet and buy new pistons rings bearings and seals. you're going to go at least .5mm over what your bore was...but let the machine shop source the parts.

add to the list, grind and polish crank and resize rods- those should be done regardless, but if that was running before, that's a testament to their stupid stubborn unwillingness to die...any self respecting SBC would have rolled over way before this dumb air pump. that's a bit of wear, and you'd be wasting gaskets to put any of back in without some serious work. It would be worth it to have it all tanked and magnafluxed before doing anything else.

all of that was on the list todo. Id like the let the guy at the machine shop do as little as possible as i want to learn and make sure its done right, when i let them rebuild the 3fe engine head for my 2fe they used dirt cheap valve seals and what really grinded my gears is they used the wrong sized valve keepers on one of the valves that was so obviousl out of place.. not only that but they didnt cut the valves to toyota spec (which is on me for not specifying but id like this done by the book) id like todo most of the rebuilding on the engine but i will consult with whomever i choose to purchase the correct parts. looking just now i saw that cruiser corps has a piston set with options FJ62, FJ80 Piston Kit - Rebuild Kit - Engine

is there a certain brand I should buy or are they all really the same?

IMO you're better off finding a better machinist or if you think the guy does good work otherwise, you need to communicate what you want done fairly clearly. Unless you're buying oem parts- which I can't afford to do so don't tell anyone- I wont !doh! Just let the machinist source the parts. That gives you more leverage when you explain that you want him to balance the floating assemblies crank and flywheel and finish hone the cylinders to factory tolerances based on the pistons he is sourcing. Also ask him to hone each cylinder to the piston assembly it's going to receive, not just based on the mic of one piston

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom