FJ60 with highest miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mines still "new" with about 142,000

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was curious about this topic, and this thread came up.

And maybe some even more high mileage ones have been spotted in the past nine years.

Anyway, I once saw an FJ60 at a used car dealer. It looked really battered with dents and dings all over, and the interior looked like an angry horse had kicked its way out. And the odo read 56,000km. And judging from its appearance, I'm certain it probably meant 1,056,000km. (650,000 miles)

My dads 87 FJ60 has 285,000 on it. Nearly 100% of those miles have been off road/dirt trails. He bought it new, off the lot in 1987, drove it 100 miles north, and its been living on the farm ever since. His daily work truck. Its still in great shape too! Its stood the test of time like nothing but a toyota can!

We now have a fleet of 5 cruisers. One of which is MY beloved 60 which was my first car when I was 16.

Bought my 83 from the original owner. He was an army A&P mechanic, and never took it to anyone for anything. When I bought it, it had been sitting for a couple years, with very little action. Took it for a test drive and noticed the Odo wasn't moving. Took me a few months after buying to get the odo working. Original 2F with a ring job along the way. Body isn't all that, but she runs like a damn Yota. Two years later, here's my odo tonight.
Odo 9:11:14.jpg

242k before I started my engine swap and frame off.........hopefully it will start again this weekend......

227,000+, she runs like a Singer sewing machine.

'87 and just kicking over 150K, this one sat for several years and has taken some work to bring her back, but the engine is tight :)

i have no idea actual mileage, but the odo stopped at 246k miles. i'm assuming from the state of the body, maybe 100k more lol

Oil galley plug

Now, list the ones that have the highest mileage with the original configuration of the oil galley plug...........I got 164,000 miles

If this is the original plug... 369k

88 fj62 here. Just turned 407k. Haven't thought twice about driving it back and forth between Missouri and North Dakota for work.

My 3 60's have 242K, 168K and 140K. All run great with no issues. The higher mileage one has not seen pavement since 2001 and runs nearly full time with hubs locked, on dirt or mud. Probably the last 50K miles strictly off road. Need to do the galley plug on the 2 lower mileage ones.

Desmogged the one with 168K, the others are not far behind. By far it's the best mod I have done.

I had 284,100 miles on mine before I pulled out the motor for a V8 conversion. Never had the engine fail on me. Did only PM work. Never had to do major repair of the engine. The biggest repairs were a rebuild of the carb and replacment of the radiator.

All of the drive line was orignal. The only major repair was three replacements of the clutch and rebuild of the front knuckles.

Here a picture of the new V8 in the Cruiser. Still have some clean up work do. I will be keeping this Cruiser until God pull my number.

image.jpg

I was driving back from Colorado the other day and rolled 280,000 (miles) on mine. The gears started turning in my head in regards to how long will I be able to drive this thing everyday and on long road trips... I did Texas-California this past summer as well but with the 2f.

Having the diesel now opens up more opportunities for long road trips due to the increased efficiency. A bit off-topic, but I calculated my MPG from Glenwood Springs-Denver-Home (1,075 miles ODO/ 1,057 miles apple maps which didn't include running around Denver for a few hours) and it only took me 55.063 gallons of diesel to get home starting with a full tank and ending with one. I can live with 19.5mpg running 35s with a crap ton of gear in the back while going up/ down I70!

Anyways back on topic... Do you guys think its realistic to try and get anything above 500,000+ miles out of a cruiser? I know that equates to a lot of knuckle rebuilds/ oil changes but other than a driveline overhaul down the line what else would hold it back? Assuming the rust doesn't take it of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom