FJ60 upgrade/conversion/retrofit to better wiper motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and to Cruisers in general. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am now the proud owner of the 1985 FJ60 that Scott from Trail Outfitters had listed here on Mud.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/517531-95-complete-fj60-restoration-sale.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/363643-1985-fj60-light-restoration.html

While driving it from Portland to Salt Lake City, the wipers stopped working during a rain storm (of course), and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for it.

Thing is - it wasn't very effective even when it was working, and I've read enough here to know that's a common problem.

So my question is, has anyone tried retrofitting a better motor from a different vehicle to their 60-series? It seems like a more powerful motor from a newer Toyota or even (blasphemy!) another make could provide much better performance with longer blades.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance - I look forward to getting to know some of you better as I dip a toe in what seems to be an interesting, quirky, and expensive habit. :)

Best bet is to find one on the classifieds. I have no idea about retrofitting, seems like the linkage or reverse ground would be trouble. You might also call beno or cruiserdan at American Toyota (800-432-6668) to see about a new one.

For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble with one that was working as expected. It has only slow and slower as speeds, but it's not like the 60 runs in the Grand Prix.

I'm not aware of an aftermarket version, but my stock wipers work pretty well after I replaced the linkage assembly with used (sourced from another Mud member for about $20). I would think you could find used motor and linkage on here pretty easy.
Good luck:cheers:
Butt

I'm not aware of an aftermarket version, but my stock wipers work pretty well after I replaced the linkage assembly with used (sourced from another Mud member for about $20). I would think you could find used motor and linkage on here pretty easy.
Good luck:cheers:
Butt

I wasn't thinking aftermarket, so much as retrofit. I'm guessing a more powerful motor from a modern vehicle would drive larger blades and provide overall better performance.

Thanks for weighing in, though, and you're right, I did find a used motor pretty easily (or rather, it found me, via another member). What a friendly place! :)

Listen grasshopper:) I'd try a new motor. 60 series stuff works pretty well. Better in my opinion than 55 or 40 series. I hope your part is local. Much easier to get stuff local than to ship.

I chased a problem with the wipers in my 1986 FJ60. I swapped out motors and relays and after much hassle, it fixed itself when I moved the wiring harness around and apparently solved a shorted out wire. From that experience I learned on thing: the stock system is too complex for my rabbit-assed mind. And, it is a simple system right? Two speeds plus an intermittant.

If you decide to go with something else, I hope you are an electrical engineer. One thing that you will need to deal with is getting the blades to "park" at the right place when you turn the wipers off. The stock system has the park location built into the motor. Will the new retro motor stop at the same place? Will it have the same sweep angle?

Good luck and hope you make a break through

I live in Seattle, where it rains seemingly all the time. Hence wipers are as important as shoes. If you go outside, you need wipers....

60 wipers work fine, if they are in good shape. The motor can fail, but rarely. The linkage most certainly does wear out. Find a used one from somewhere that rain is rare. Think SW somewhere. Bolt it one, good to go.

Make sure the wiper arms are in good shape. New ones from CDan or Beno are cheap. Also essential that they are exactly perpendicular to the windshield. That makes a huge difference. I got a drivers side wiper that is 1/2" longer than stock, so it covers more area.. I like it.

Bottom line - make the system work like stock and you'll be fine.

I play nice.

wait till you deal with "uglyoinker" for a bit....your feelings will change.:lol:

have we met before?

Haha - uglyoinker has been a gentleman and a scholar so far (though he did call me grasshopper...) :)

No, I don't think we have met before. Why do you ask?

Alaska60 (tom) asks because he's like the town bicycle, dirty. Also cuz he knows everybody! I know tom!

Hey my wipers started being slow or just wouldn't start at all and then eventually quit altogether. I took the motor apart and found a tiny contact on a tab that was bent away from where it was supposed to touch. Tweaked it back with a mini needle nose and it was good to go. Hardest part is getting the armature (the part inside the motor that spins) back down between the brushes in the bottom of the housing. If I remember right you can take out the cylindrical magnet and put the armature in first, then hold it down and drop the magnet around it. Then you can spin it into the housing so that you do not dissasemble the gears. That way the stopping points and park point don't get messed up. I wish I had taken pictures when I did it... Sorry. It is working strong to this day. Let me know and I could take it apart again and get some pics.

The stock system has the park location built into the motor.

Any idea if this can be adjusted? My wipers overshoot the bottom the the windshield and it's incredibly annoying.

Move the blades? The junction at the blade is splined and you could move it a notch or so.

I have upgraded my 60 wiper motor to a Porsche 911 3.2 wiper motor. I had been through a few 2nd hand 60 motors that were weak. The Porsche motor is a lot more powerful and way more available.
It is as close to a direct fit as I could find, the mounting holes need re drilling a bit further in, the arm fits straight on and the Porsche wiring can be connected straight to the Landcruiser wiring just by extending the Porsche wires.
The Porsche motor is designed for 3 speeds so I just connected low and high and left medium out. It seems to work well like this.

u5qhf.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9ijaf.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
6nhmj.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
t97ve.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
ag9kf.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

If you remove the entire assy, arms and all, including the wipers themselves, and re-grease everything, they work pretty well. Easily accessible if you remove the cover plate on the cowl. Also allows you to clean all the leaves and sh!t outta there.

wonder if anyone provide better V to the wiper motor and that result in better performance ?

I did this indirectly. Put a direct wire from the alternator to the battery - this bumps the system voltage up a bit...not sure how much, but at least 1/2 volt. Reason is the stock wiring harness is undersized, and causes voltage drop. Second mod is a headlight harness. This also bypasses the stock wiring harness, thus reducing the amp load, and boosting system voltage. (It also allows running higher watt bulbs.) The two changes together make for a faster moving windshield wiper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom