FJ60 power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know squat about p/s pumps, but it looks to me like the shaft and maybe the pulley are toast. Hard to see in the pic of the pulley, but the left side has been bored out a little.

A piece came out/off when I removed the pulley. It was the "guide" on the shaft to align the pulley.

What are my options? Can the shaft be replaced?

DSCF0715.jpg

DSCF0696.jpg
DSCF0696.jpg
DSCF0715.jpg

yes, you can replace just the rotor shaft. problem is that basically it is going to require a complete tear down. might as well rebuild it then with all the parts out. the vane spring assembly is insane to put back together. i rebuilt mine a year ago and is fine so far. i have one from hugh that i need to rebuild. maybe he will sell it to you. i have the rebuild kit already. most 60 guys as you know upgrade the pump anyways so it might not be worth it.
LC_PS_Pump_Diagram.jpg
LC_PS_Pump35.jpg
LC_PS_Pump34.jpg

I've been reading about the saginaw upgrades. From what I've read I'll need to de-smog first to get the air pump out of the way. I do plan to de-smog at some point. I guess with the p/s pump dead, I'll need to do it sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the saginaw upgrade? I've tried to search/read the forums, but there are some gray areas that I need more clarity on.

don't know about the saginaw upgrade but i will say the factory one, even rebuilt, just isn't made to handle 33"+ tires. at least it doesn't leak like hell anymore though. i would upgrade, just my $.02 I have thought about possibly adding a smaller pulley to increase rpm's at lower speed but i haven't found one yet.

Thanks for the replies Sean. Hope to see you at GSMTR. Guess I'll be riding shotgun with Rance. I failed to get registered early, but will be once I get onsite. I hate to leave the 60 behind, but I'm not missing this year. I think it's time to start working on sag upgrade along with de-smog. Ugh, she's going to be sitting for a while now at the pace I get stuff done.

mine's on the brink.
where can i get a saginaw, sorry...new to this game.
I normally just get a used one from a junk yard or ebay, use it for mock up and then use it as a core to by a reman. one from a parts store. Saginaw boxes came on a bunch of domestic cars and trucks. Someone will probably chime in on what box works best for 60 series. On my 40 i used one from a '80 cj-5. i think the '68 impala is a popular choice. You want one that has 4 mounting holes and a 4:1 turn if i remember correct.

mine's on the brink.
where can i get a saginaw, sorry...new to this game.
I actually have not seen a Saginaw on a 60. (Although I have a couple 40s so have not looked for that conversion) I guess it would be a very similar swap as a 40. Pillow block, Berg joints telescoping shaft, etc.

i would check with Iron Pig if you are looking for a pump mounting bracket, they have the best one I have seen for the 2F. If you are thinking about changing the steering box look at a scout saginaw box, it mounts in the same position as the 60 box.

you guys talking about an international scout? what year model? were there not a couple of different models of scout?

I think if I had a 2F engine I would had no doubt about going to a Saginaw (GM) p/s pump. As Roger noted apparently iron pig makes a bracket and I think others apparently do as well.

There are a couple of threads over on the 60 forum about using a PS pump pulley off a volvo, and potentially the same P/s pump (GM pump)... The toyota pump just does not put out much pressure or thats the way it felt to me when I had the 2f.... I use to call it power assisted steering.

I bought the MAF keyed pulley and MAF mount for my sag pump. The best part about the sag pump is they are readily available with a lifetime warranty from the big box stores (Advance etc) and cheap - les than $50. Mine quit after 700 miles and I just went in and exchanged it.

yea...I've had three rebuilt GM pumps on my 60..... the best one so far has been from advance auto.

Even with GM you cannot buy "new" ps pumps on some of the models, even some that are not that old (year model of the vehicle).

I've had GM rebuilt, Napa rebuilt, and Advance rebuilt... some of these pumps "whine" at day one and never stop....

best strategy is to buy one with a lifetime gurantee and swap out becuase for whatever reason my experience is that you'll be lucky to get a year or two from the pump before issuse start.

Hi.
I have a 2F from a 60 in my 45. The PSP is leaking from the pulley shaft. If I upgrade; Do I have to worry about what my steering box can support when I upgrade?

Need more info, what steering box are you running and what upgrade are you considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom