FJ60 manifold bolt question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Been using everyone's advice to put my 2F back together for my 86 FJ60. Unfortunately my giant pile of plated hardware is getting the best of me. Here's the question: I was test fitting the gasket and don't recall which bolt was used for the manifold. There's one with a larger attached washer (see pic) and there's another with a smaller attached washer (see pic). I was able to look at some pics from disassembly and realized the bolt closest to the bell housing is correct with the smaller washer. however, the next one to the front on the lower row of bolts is confusing me. I've got the larger washer bolt in the hole, and the smaller washer bolt laying in the port next to it. And if that larger washer bolt is not correct for the manifold, does anyone know where it goes? Trying to organize hardware before I get my frame back and start putting suspension together.

I've attached a few other pics for your viewing. Its going together nicely and sure is an improvement.

Thanks for your help!

manifoldpic1.jpg

enginepic1.jpg

enginepic2.jpg

Hi, The small washers go for the manifold. I've got some bolts with large washers holding the inner fender on. Mike

Heres the body on a dolly I made. It actually works really well for moving the body around the garage and onto a trailer for paint and body work. Will get some pics of the dolly posted once the body is off if anyone needs it.

bodypic1.jpg

firewall.jpg

brian thanks for the heads up on the possibility they may be studs. i will check my pile for any suspects but I don't recall. I'm pretty sure the manifold was never off this rig before. it sat in someone's garage near telluride for a long time and had some large rodent skulls in the manifold area that looked prehistoric.

Personally I wouldn't reuse amy of those replated bolts or nuts on the manifold. Replace them all with new.

The new zinc plating will burn off in no time - exposing the acid etched and hydrogen embrittled steel to continue its rusting ways.
Those are likely 35 year old fasteners that have been cooked in hell (manifold heat) and cooled countless times.
To say that they've been fatigued beyond their original spec is an understatement.

Especially those two small end bolts. Those things are toast. Whatever you do - replace those two small end bolts with brand new bolts (from Toyota)

The Toyota PNs for bolts was recently listed here

Hello,
Been using everyone's advice to put my 2F back together for my 86 FJ60. Unfortunately my giant pile of plated hardware is getting the best of me. Here's the question: I was test fitting the gasket and don't recall which bolt was used for the manifold. There's one with a larger attached washer (see pic) and there's another with a smaller attached washer (see pic). I was able to look at some pics from disassembly and realized the bolt closest to the bell housing is correct with the smaller washer. however, the next one to the front on the lower row of bolts is confusing me. I've got the larger washer bolt in the hole, and the smaller washer bolt laying in the port next to it. And if that larger washer bolt is not correct for the manifold, does anyone know where it goes? Trying to organize hardware before I get my frame back and start putting suspension together.

I've attached a few other pics for your viewing. Its going together nicely and sure is an improvement.

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 2264797

View attachment 2264799

View attachment 2264800
Man, that thing is sexy. Porsche in the back isn't half bad, either. How'd you get the air rail (and everything else, really) looking so pristine?

A lot of wire wheels and some blasting. And way more time than i planned. turns out there a lot more stuff to clean on this 60 than on the little 65 porsche.

Just seeing this.

The bolts listed above, 90119-10393, (x2) are the two bolts at both ends of the head/gasket - That bolt was originally 28mm. Toyota has superseded that to bolt that is 30mm and it's too long and bottoms out.

91651-61025 is 25mm and a better substitute, or add a thick washer to the above bolt.

Use lots of high-temp anti-seize on the fasteners.

The air rail, even if painted with high-temp paint will peel and rust very quickly when the zinc plating has been wire-wheel off. Ask me how I know. per @OSS example, I had mine nickel-plated (along with the heat shields) and it still looks like new.

1586369158910.png

OSS's pix

1586369420199.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom