FJ60 Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders,

A few months ago my wife (fiance at the time) bought me my first Land Cruiser as a wedding present! The best wife in the world had bought a 1984 FJ60 barn find and arranged to have it brought back to NC. She presented it to me and naturally I passed out. Upon waking up I found a beautiful non-running, needing lots of love, wonderful FJ60 with 220k miles. The only stipulation was that I was not allowed to wrench until the wedding was over and paid off.... The wedding is now over, and 10 months later paid off. So, during this 10 month period, I did do a few key things to start figuring out the overall condition and what will need to be done to restore it to its former glory. Below is a short list of all the tasks I have completed.

1) Extensively researched mud and spent a lot of time in the FJ60 FAQ section
2) Blew all of the dust off
3) Ordered and installed tune up kit comprised of OEM parts
4) Changed all fluids with OEM and Mud recommended fluids
5) Drained 15 gallons of 10 year old gas
6) Started the cruiser

The 2F actually ran good considering how long it had sat, but it would not idle and was extremely sputtry and rough at any speed other than 2500 rpm. So I got back on mud did some searching then completed the next steps below.

7) Called Jim C and sent the carb and distributor off for a rebuild
8) Roughly 6 weeks later reinstalled the carb/ reset the timing and then cranked it up.
9) Checked compression (all within 12 psi deviance)

It ran much better and smoother but, would not idle unless the choke was pulled out. It feels strong in higher rpms (2000-3500) but bogs down considerably at anything less than 2000. Which made me think there is a massive vacuum leak somewhere. So next I looked up the desmog threads and and started the desmog.

I am currently in the process of the desmog and will hopefully track down the leak by the end of the week.

I just wanted to take some time to finally introduce myself, and thank everyone for the astounding amount of knowledge on this forum. This is a great community, and I am happy to have the opportunity to be a part of it.

Resized_20160501_153020.jpeg

Looks like you have a nice 60 and a good start on it. Congrats on both!

Welcome! Nice FJ60 - I like the color, the same as on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. I've been working on it for ~15 months - I'm keeping my wife updated on progress but it'll still be several more months before I'm done. She's got great patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom