FJ60 Exhaust Options 2021 Edition (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to finally replace my exhaust system. Its original and pretty well rusted out. I talked to a local muffler shop for their replacement options. They offered me a solid price to replace the whole system including the cat. I have worked with them in the past on a Toyota pickup I used to own and they did solid work for the most part. They are still kind of a hack type get it done shop with little regard for the vehicle they are working on so have some reservations about turning them lose on this truck. Since the addition of 33's I get some rubbing on the tailpipe so will need some routing adjustments to clear that rub. Normally I would steer clear of an outfit like this hacking on this vehicle with the risk of them potentially cutting factory brackets and whatnot, but wondering if those types of concerns are warranted for something like exhaust. It was a fair price and would save me some time. I tend to want to keep things stock as possible and use OEM parts when available but maybe for exhaust its just not that big a deal. Don't have emissions concerns for where I live and I'm desmogged with no air pump installed, but would still like a cat in the system. Without an air pump in the system is the cat still effective on these rigs? I believe Toyota still offers cat back exhaust parts so contemplating doing this myself with an aftermarket cat. I guess I am just wanting some general current options for handling FJ60 exhaust replacement. Anything changed in 2021 with regards to FJ60 exhaust? 2F performance concerns going with generic exhaust parts? Thanks in advance for the help.

If your ex sys is rusted out chances are the hangers are gone too and those are NLA from Toyota for a while.

The Downpipe is Stainless Steel, so no worries there other than checking the weld at the top flange for cracks.

I would have a discussion with the shop manager before doing the work and make sure they know exactly what you expect of them. May cost a bit more if they have to take their time, but you'll probably be happier with the product.

16 gauge aluminized 2.5" pipe (heavy duty) with a 48-State Magnaflow weld-in or bolt in works well, and a Muffler choice depending on your noise tolerance level. I have the MAF CAT-back system on mine and am very happy with it, but I bought it when they were in Simi Valley so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Man A Fre has the whole exhaust system with headers, or just the cat back. Also @OTRAMM makes a custom all stainless one, downpipe out.

If your ex sys is rusted out chances are the hangers are gone too and those are NLA from Toyota for a while.

The Downpipe is Stainless Steel, so no worries there other than checking the weld at the top flange for cracks.

I would have a discussion with the shop manager before doing the work and make sure they know exactly what you expect of them. May cost a bit more if they have to take their time, but you'll probably be happier with the product.

16 gauge aluminized 2.5" pipe (heavy duty) with a 48-State Magnaflow weld-in or bolt in works well, and a Muffler choice depending on your noise tolerance level. I have the MAF CAT-back system on mine and am very happy with it, but I bought it when they were in Simi Valley so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Yes thanks for the replies here. I have seen the OTRAMM and Man A Fre options. I know those are great options but I guess kinda wondering if I can get away with just using some generic exhaust parts from a shop like this or if I am asking for trouble. I would shell out the cash for the options above I guess if there was some real reason why just the generic parts from a muffler shop are a bad idea.

Your points about the hangers @Spike Strip are valid so its possible this wouldn't matter what sort of exhaust I get here really as anything is better than the 35 YO setup I have now. Hangers might be toast so as for it to not matter how the shop does this. I wouldn't normally consider going with just some generic parts for this truck but does it matter for exhaust or would generic bits be perfectly fine for this? In my head, 'its just exhaust, how hard could it be" but maybe there are some real performance benefits to getting something custom built for the 2F. I just don't want these guys coming in there hacking and tapping this stuff. Just counter to my normal MO. But for exhaust, is it that big a deal really?

Also I had always heard about the air pump being required to really get the cat up to temp to do what it does. Am I wrong there? Assuming cat will work fine but just not as effective as it would with the air pump system in place.

Thanks again for the responses.

New is still available from the cat back. Ceramic coat or high temp paint it and you are set for another 35 years. Slap on all new hanger/insulators and it's a quick affair.

Is your down pipe rusty as well or just the exhaust?

17430-61170 - exhaust pipe

Around $260 or so from your local dealer

Is your down pipe rusty as well or just the exhaust?

Downpipe looks OK. I have not inspected it close so not sure if the flange is good to go. Its all there and AFAICT intact and not cracked. I thought about this option as well. This may be the route I take. In this case I would just need to additionally source a cat. I would like to get rid of the air pipe for the smog pump. Mine is just plugged sort of hanging in space from the PO desmog. I don't have the welding skills or tools to lose that pipe myself. Thanks @mattressking for the P/N. I'll look into this some more.

OK thanks here @mattressking. I'm assuming to go this route I would need to source the studs and nuts and gaskets to bolt these up. Or is there a chance the OEM exhaust system comes with all that?

The stock rear exhaust piece doesnt come with anything other than the pipe/muffler. You will need to buy bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets etc that you need. You should be able to get all of those from the dealer. You may also need the rubber supports as they are often broken on old exhausts. I think the system has 3 in it if I remember correctly...2 near the middle of the truck and one at the tail pipe. They look something like this:

1612360700131.png
THink this is the part number 17567-61030 and (4) nuts = 90179-06007

OK thanks here @Seth S. I see a lot of that stuff is available still so will gather it up. I'll need to get under there and check current condition of the supports on my truck. I'm sure they need replacing. Thanks for the help.

I like the OEM look best, but when it came to exhaust I didn't really care. I ordered these headers off of amazon, deleted cats and had the truck desmogged, and went to a weber 38 at the same time. Runs like a race car when compared to before. My exhaust is a bit stinky....smells like a good ole truck to me. I guess I could of replaced the cat but I figured she would just breath better without it. I did have to return once and have the gasket replaced for an exhaust leak. When the original gasket gave way it made a terrible clicking noise. I would have never guessed it was an exhaust leak...sounded much more ominous.

1612361156396.png

FJ60Paddle.JPG

A great alternative to aftermarket headers is to switch to 3FE exhaust manifolds from an FJ62 or an FJ80 (91-93 iirc). you need to do a small modification to the intake manifold for clearance but not a big deal. Then you can either run the FJ62 exhaust or get @OTRAMM 's Stainless setup.

So generally here, would you guys trust a muffler shop to put together an exhaust system on one of these rigs or am I asking for trouble? Gathering the OEM parts would be a bit more than what the muffler shop quoted me to do that work with whatever hack -n -tap parts they have there, but I would have parts I know work. Am I over-thinking this and anything would be better than the rusted bits I have now? Or can real mistakes be made with regards to 2F exhaust system? My guess here is what I end up with from this shop won't be as good as OEM would be for roughly the same amount of money. But it would work perfectly fine. So would you or wouldn't you let a muffler shop touch your rig?

So generally here, would you guys trust a muffler shop to put together an exhaust system on one of these rigs or am I asking for trouble? Gathering the OEM parts would be a bit more than what the muffler shop quoted me to do that work with whatever hack -n -tap parts they have there, but I would have parts I know work. Am I over-thinking this and anything would be better than the rusted bits I have now? Or can real mistakes be made with regards to 2F exhaust system? My guess here is what I end up with from this shop won't be as good as OEM would be for roughly the same amount of money. But it would work perfectly fine. So would you or wouldn't you let a muffler shop touch your rig?
You need a custom exhaust shop that does trucks and hot rods - and not a place that hangs pre-bent pipes on Chevy Astro vans and uses 47 clamps on a job. A good exhaust guy has a quality bender and a bunch of straight pipe and a good selection of mufflers - he custom bends everything. They will know what mufflers go on pickups vs. SUVs so that your truck doesn't drone when he's done because he put the wrong muffler on it. They will hang the system high for good clearance, but not so high that it shifts and rattles against the floorpan. I would go to a hot rod or custom shop or a top-flight repair shop and ask 'who do do you send your custom exhaust work to?'

I had a good custom cat-back system put on my FJ62 in 2013 for $250. I have lowered it a few times to work on spring shackles, and it's a well-crafted quality setup. The guy used factory mounting points and some bolts and nuts on those so that you CAN lower the system. Money well spent.

Nothing wrong with an OEM bolt-on setup, but likely more work for you.

to be clear...the place that works on my truck does custom hot rods and the muffler shop he uses did the work. The owner told me he trusted this guy to do a top notch job and he did. I wasn't a muffler shop chain.

The stock rear exhaust piece doesnt come with anything other than the pipe/muffler. You will need to buy bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets etc that you need. You should be able to get all of those from the dealer. You may also need the rubber supports as they are often broken on old exhausts. I think the system has 3 in it if I remember correctly...2 near the middle of the truck and one at the tail pipe. They look something like this:

View attachment 2574093 THink this is the part number 17567-61030 and (4) nuts = 90179-06007
FWIW. If you're in a pinch, Amazon has these rubber mounts w/nuts for ~$25 for all three mounts. Search TOTMOX Exhaust

SimS

Im working up a plan to do the same with my FJ62. Is there any difference between the 60 and 62 related to the headers, down pipes, and remainder of exhaust?
Is a preformance header going to have any notible power improvment? I do plan to desmog and deCat the rig in a comprehensive way. At some point, one of the cat's was replace with a non-stock part,

Thanks all

Where can i find these headers? how much did they run you?

Dan
Ebay

Search- Performance Exhaust Header Toyota Land Cruiser 1F 2F FJ40 45 FJ55 FJ60 Manifold $339

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom