FJ55 My stock build for DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished up the grill last night. No more gheto. Except for the messed and missing turn signals.

1247921-IMG_7772.jpg

Purely a personal preference, but I think all Land Cruisers look better with all black tires rather than with raised white letters. This is especially true for older Cruisers. Raised white letters are for Chevys and Jeeps, and maybe minitrucks...

Major props to you for saving a very nice Pig. Keep us updated!

Does anyone remember the article in TT a while ago.. something entitled "go straight to the classifieds"?

It was a guy who, upon receiving his TT in the mail, went straight to the classifieds and found a pig listed with no motor for 500$. It was apparantly near him, so he takes his son and his other cruiser to see it. They bought the 55 and towed it home with the intention of building it for the son.... it was covered in moss and layers of dirt but was original orange and white... once they began to clean it, they realized they had scored a 99% rust free 55 with all original equipment minus the motor. It turned into one of the nicest pigs I have seen in print and they had hardly any money and a nominal amount of time into it.... the son had to be fully stoked.

Reminds me of your 55 Trollhole! another great tale ends in a sweet pig on the road. Cheers... and X 2 on the white letters in not out : )

Update:

Yesterday I took the gas tank out. My fears were valid. 15 years of dried up gas in the bottom. Lots of stuff and rust. Took tank today to be boiled and lined. Only slight surface rust on the outside. Radiator guy said he has seen worse.

Today installed the tailgate regulator gear. Put it all back together and bingo. Window rolls up and down with the key and the switch up front. Amazing.

The piggy moves! Finally got the new clutch slave and master in. Bled the lines and the clutch seems to work. Installed a temporary gas tank in the back until I get my other one back. Cleaned all the fuel line out and replaced the fuel filter. Started right up. Idles a little rough but after a few sprays of carb and choke cleaner the piggy purrs or should I say rumbles since there is no muffler. I put it in reverse a moved it back a few feet to check and see if the brakes worked. They did. So tomorrow I bleed them and adjust. And replace some trans and transfer case fluid. Hope to be able to drive it around tomorrow and be able to take it friday to get a new exhaust. Ran it for about 10 minutes and no overheating issues or leaks. Tomorrow will be the test.

Awesome! You are making some good progress on that piggy - keep it up.

Brian

Good news. Brakes are bled and working.

Bad news. The crapping T-case has a hole in the bottom. About a 1/4 inch. Took side off an idler gear looks worn bad. So I did what anyone else would do. I put some JBweld on the hole and will filler her up in the morning. I'll take as a kind of experiment. How long will the t case last before catastrophic failure. My bet I make it to our annual meeting this weekend and not back. Good thing I have most of one in good shape in the garage.

Well the pig is out of the stable or at least was. Drove it about 200 yards back and fourth to the house. T-case will definetly need replacing no rebuild in it's future. Carb will need to be rebuilt as well as the drum brake cylinders. BUt it did move on it's own for the first time in 20 years. So thats a big accomplishment in my books. Died backing it into the driveway. I think the points are going bad. Now on to replace the t-case.

cool deal troll, I like what you've done to the pig so far, makes me want one even more! it looks like you put in a few days worth of work to remove years from the garage. Cool score! :cool:

mike

any updates marshall?

Got a t-case from a 9/75 40 that will fit the bill this past weekend. Also recieved the gas tank last week. Taking it to be boiled tomorrow. Have new rear brake cylinders and will be buying fronts from ccot along with the brake master since it's all on sale right now. Still have to buy a tcase rebuild kit and carb kit. Have since replaced the steering colum cover.

Beat the dents out and the aparant crash damage. Have a new used patch panel and reverse light for the right rear corner. Will be cutting out the rust and welding in new steel this weekend.

Oh and taking the T-case out. I'll take some pics before I toss it.

I'm getting closer. Might be road worthy in 8 weeks. Just in time for cool weather.

I am happy I stumbled on this thread
Good luck and great job so far
You make it seem so easy
Keep updating us

Well more stuff. Picked up another tank from Lchamma. Just to good to pass up. BUt one catch it's an early model tank with no fuel return for carb. So I will be taking it to the tank to get a nipple welded on. I wonder if I could just use one of the emmisions nipples for a return? Would make things a lot easier.

Cut out the rear fender damage. the bottom corners are rotten! Figures. That will be some tough sheetmetal forming.

Coil and igniter came today. Installed it and the pig fired right up. Still have to rebuild the carb. Will only run with the choke half way out due to a fuel restriction in the idle circut. Still debating on whether to send it to JimC.

Radio also came in. Plugged it in and the lights came on.. Thats all I really cared about since I'm not a big AM guy. Will be installing a small amp and some speakers hidden for sound using the Ipod for tunes.

Transfer case and carb rebuild kit should be in this week. Bought a gallon of carb dip. (man that stuff was expensive) So the next weeks will be busy. Should be some good progress.

sounds like a phone call for the carb rebuild if ya need help you have my #its easy.great score.and yes ive used the emission for a return line in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom