FJ45LV Rear tire carrier? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It would have to be a swing out design. A straight steel bumper will support well and the LV frame will accommodate it. There are several manufactures that offer the bearing and tube for the swing out as well as the buckle to hold it shut. The arrangement of the tire and cans ( I would not carry fuel back there) is up to you. The structure and tire will add some significant weight back there. You Tubers have put up some good ideas too.
Best, Eric

Weight is definitely going to be an issue to be considered. Would not be good for a stock suspension. I have the "heavy" OME suspension and I notice a difference when I fill up my 30gal gas tank. You put a heavy steel bumper plus tire and gas all the way on the back bumper and that will make a big difference in ride height and handling. Not to mention adding a bit to your exit angle?

Weight is definitely going to be an issue to be considered. Would not be good for a stock suspension. I have the "heavy" OME suspension and I notice a difference when I fill up my 30gal gas tank. You put a heavy steel bumper plus tire and gas all the way on the back bumper and that will make a big difference in ride height and handling. Not to mention adding a bit to your exit angle?
But isn't that the same with any wagon... I know the LV might have a little more behind the rear axle than an 80 but isn't it pretty close to a 55 and 60?

1639753436512.png

1639753463467.png

1639753496927.png

I mounted a 2” receiver to the rear frame on mine. You could then use a hitch mounter tire carrier/swing out.
75A0B4E9-EE6A-4D22-8294-5B40FC9B75A3.png

You could put the fancy airbag suspension you dreamed up for your 60 on it and you could put 2 tires back there and be really cool
You really hate me don't you.

Hate is too strong. You are an ask-hole though. You ask a million questions but come up with a reason any answer you are given is wrong.

You know what you want. Do it.

You know what you want. Do it.
I have been accused of playing devil's advocate a thousand times before. Sometimes ideas I don't agree with are helpful to me, and maybe to others. Sometimes I DO know what I probably want to do but I'm eager to hear other opinions and ideas from those that know way more than I do.
I'll try to be less of a contrarian in the future (is a promise I've made a thousand times before)

And in this particular thread I DO want to build a rear carrier for the LV but I also want to hear about things to consider when doing so.

I have been accused of playing devil's advocate a thousand times before. Sometimes ideas I don't agree with are helpful to me, and maybe to others. Sometimes I DO know what I probably want to do but I'm eager to hear other opinions and ideas from those that know way more than I do.
I'll try to be less of a contrarian in the future (is a promise I've made a thousand times before)

And in this particular thread I DO want to build a rear carrier for the LV but I also want to hear about things to consider when doing so.
Just do it.

So to bring this back to the original post:

"Looking for thoughts and ideas on an external rear tire/jerry can carrier for an LV."

I'm not asking SHOULD I or CAN I, I'm simply asking for thoughts and ideas before I blindly go down a road others have already travelled. Isn't that the point of forums like this, to toss around ideas, to share information and experiences?

I'm not looking for anyone's permission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom