FJ45 VS. FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, thanks for the help. I am looking for a drivers seat for my 40 and a guy with a 63 FJ45 said he is selling his so I needed to know if they would actually work.

Land pimp,

wow, great page and some amazing trucks. i love them all, the 45 and the 92 fj80 i loved the best, you wouldnt be interested in selling the 80 would you? or doing a partial trade for a built up 1982 fj40? justa though but tell me what you think. where are you located?

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29214 date=1059430631]
Land pimp,

wow, great page and some amazing trucks. i love them all, the 45 and the 92 fj80 i loved the best, you wouldnt be interested in selling the 80 would you? or doing a partial trade for a built up 1982 fj40? justa though but tell me what you think. where are you located?
[/quote]

hmmm then I would have 3 82 fj40's :p But tell me bout your 40? hit me off line at jholmaas@hotmail.com
the 80 has 4.88's and ARB's front and rear, 12k warn and a bunch of other stuff.....I hardly drive it anymore :( but I hate to get rid of it, guess I can pick up moms and build it :D

I took a looks at the stock 65 40 and the 45(with stock seats) HEres the deal I think, the DS seat frame from the 45 will not work in the 40, but I think the seat itself will work, just need to get it off the sliding mechanism and it should be the same as the 40....make sense?

the PS bench, I think will work in the 40, it apears to be the same bottom with the exception of the cut out for the filler in the 45, it should make no difference in the 40, if you were putting a 40 seat in a 45 think the filler would be in the way.

I snaped some pics and will download them tonight if ya want em just let me know

But in short I think you can make em work, just take the seat off the frame and put it on your frame.....if you don't have a frame for the DS then you migh tbe SOL :( but if so there should be lots of seats out there for salle

John

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29194 date=1059424959]
close but not the same I believe. the 40 will have the tool box under the DS seat, the 45 has no provision for lifting the seat. the PS bench has a angle cut for the fuel filler. I would think they would swap with some mods however.

I do know the SOR seat covers are different for a 45 and 40 bench seat(s)

long or short bed might also make a difference.....but I don't know.

I'll take a look at my stock 65 fj40 tonight to get a better idea.
[/quote]

pimp you are sick. i always wondered who i would finaly come across that loves the Cruiser so much. i figured i would someday wind up that way. i'm in my flegliing state right now, but i will bloom. i want them all (series). i'm in college right now, and i plan to take my crusher down south toward argentina when i am done so i can surf.

it will be some time before i have such a fine collection, but all my kids will be driving cruisers.

Landpimp,
I would like to see the pics if that is alright. I do have all the hardware to my DS seat. Thanks a lot for the help. BTW, you have a nice collection going there.

Hey Landpimp...

Hey John;
What brake booster you running there? Also, I dig the 2f with the early air cleaner-that is what's going on there? Still the early clutch slave? About the ome and 35's, do they rub the rear wheel wells? I also like that you kept the vacuum shifter...My 65fj45 lwb removeable hardtop is still in crates mostly, and I'm real torn between soa and ome. I'm leaning towards soa to get the longbed off the ground some more. I also *think* I'm planning on grafting part of a 77 firewall in so that the steering column, brake booster, and clutch slave can move over to the 65 with the utmost of ease...The driveline is already in the frame with 762f/sm420/early tcase...haven't touched the axles yet, but have the 76 axles ready to go under...

[quote author=johnny link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29248 date=1059439582]
pimp you are sick. i always wondered who i would finaly come across that loves the Cruiser so much. i figured i would someday wind up that way. i'm in my flegliing state right now, but i will bloom. i want them all (series). i'm in college right now, and i plan to take my crusher down south toward argentina when i am done so i can surf.

it will be some time before i have such a fine collection, but all my kids will be driving cruisers.
[/quote]

yes I am sick :D there are lots of nuts like me out there. Sense I was 13 I have loved Cruisers, my 1st ride in one was a fj45 up in BC on Salt Sping Island, I was 13-4 I think. I had other 4x4's(GMC and 4runner) but couldn't really afford a Cruiser till I was 29(the fj80) then I got the 60 a 3-4 years ago, then a 40 showed up. Having 2 cruisers is pretty safe, but after the 3rd......well...then there is no stoping it ::)

[quote author=red66toy link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29275 date=1059447485]
Landpimp,
I would like to see the pics if that is alright. I do have all the hardware to my DS seat. Thanks a lot for the help. BTW, you have a nice collection going there.
[/quote]

I'll try to get em down loaded today.

Re:Hey Landpimp...

[quote author=Chef link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29316 date=1059489635]
Hey John;
What brake booster you running there? Also, I dig the 2f with the early air cleaner-that is what's going on there? Still the early clutch slave? About the ome and 35's, do they rub the rear wheel wells? I also like that you kept the vacuum shifter...My 65fj45 lwb removeable hardtop is still in crates mostly, and I'm real torn between soa and ome. I'm leaning towards soa to get the longbed off the ground some more. I also *think* I'm planning on grafting part of a 77 firewall in so that the steering column, brake booster, and clutch slave can move over to the 65 with the utmost of ease...The driveline is already in the frame with 762f/sm420/early tcase...haven't touched the axles yet, but have the 76 axles ready to go under...

[/quote]

booster is from a 74 fj40, master is off a V6 mini truck, adapter for booster(3 bolt to 4 and clears the rib) is from Wardens.

Yep, its a 2f with a 1 barrel Aisin on it :eek: actaully works real well, need to have a 2brl made up for it.....just aint got to it yet, I have the early 2 bbr air cleaner as well.

Yep the clutch master and slave are stock(slave is new) still has the 3 on the tree and vucuum shift....I kinda like this set up but 1st gear with 35's isn't the best combo.

running a disc front end, rear FF with ARB.

No problem with any rubbing front or rear.....the rear OME's(with one leaf out) are not supper flexy ;) Also running a MAF shackle reversal on the front. But the OME rides WONDERFULL IMOP much better than the stock springs.

I'm thinking I will go to a 4 speed or H55F(if I can find a 42 H55f top plate) and run the 88 fj62 split case.....if I do this I can keep the stock vacume shift on the dash as a 62 is vauume shift

I will replace the old steering colume with a latter one, do PS....and maybe someday to the body.....but I kinda have grown fond of the faded blue paint :)

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=30#msg29358 date=1059499809]
Hey john, did yu get my email.???/ thanks
[/quote]

yep, having some email problems. But the short version. Honestly your 82 fj40 is worth as much or more than my fj80, you can buy a 80 series all day long and build it, 82(and 81, 83) fj40's are hard to find(and sell for good money, I got both mine pretty cheap however, 5k each) and will do nothing but go up in value......you(and I) would kick yourself if you traded for my 80. Keep what you have......your a damn lucky 17 year old to have a late model 40.....wish I had one when I was your age. My guess on what my 80 would sell for is 8-10k.....maybe, I have WAY more into it and have no need to sell and no real desire(even if I don't drive it often) Also my 80 has lead a hard life, its in great mechanical shape but still it's been used hard, plus unless you like yellow lab hair, it's never gonna come out.....it's my dogs truck and from looking inside you can tell :D
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1150045/18548163.jpg

John

[quote author=red66toy link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=0#msg29275 date=1059447485]
Landpimp,
[/quote]

pics are up

DS stock 65 fj40 seat
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1171205/30554301.jpg
DS stock 67 fj45 seat
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1171205/30554243.jpg
PS fj40
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1171205/30554184.jpg
PS fj45
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1171205/30554113.jpg

let me know if you need somethiing else

John

Hey thanks for the pics Landpimp. There were very helpful. It does look like the DS are very similar. My DS doesn't have those little side guards like yours. Thanks again.

Chase
66 FJ40L

[quote author=red66toy link=board=1;threadid=3969;start=30#msg29536 date=1059581650]
Hey thanks for the pics Landpimp. There were very helpful. It does look like the DS are very similar. My DS doesn't have those little side guards like yours. Thanks again.

Chase
66 FJ40L
[/quote]

no problem

I have a couple photos of some FJ45s we restored on my website.

Good luck
Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom