fj45 rear bumper ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any chance you could get some pics of the underside of the bumper along with some dementions, that would be helpful. In advance TNX for your help.

Here’s mine

06682027-CCC4-4CCD-8BD5-332AD306F5FA.jpeg

Any chance you could get some pics of the underside of the bumper along with some dementions, that would be helpful. In advance TNX for your help.
I like simple! No cad or anything fancy like that although I did use a square a couple of times :). I didn't take any pics while I was building it and just used bits I had in my stash. The brackets were made from 4x6x5/16 angle, 5 inches wide with a gusset on one side only so I could get at the bolts. The 2 upper mounting holes were already in the frame, I enlarged them to 1/2" and drilled the 2 lower ones to match. The other 2 frames I have here have the same holes but not sure if all years have them. Bracket to bumper is 5 3/4, a little hard to see with the shadow in the picture. All the angle cuts are just 45 degrees as one would expect on an FJ45:D.
The center section is 4x4x3/8 angle. License plate holder and light are separate and removable to access the notch for the spare tire winch.
HTH and if there's anything else I missed feel free to ask.
Bracket 1 (Medium).JPG
Bracket 2 (Medium).JPG
Bracket 3 (Medium).JPG
Bracket Mount holes (Medium).JPG
Plate mount (Medium).JPG

I like simple! No cad or anything fancy like that although I did use a square a couple of times :). I didn't take any pics while I was building it and just used bits I had in my stash. The brackets were made from 4x6x5/16 angle, 5 inches wide with a gusset on one side only so I could get at the bolts. The 2 upper mounting holes were already in the frame, I enlarged them to 1/2" and drilled the 2 lower ones to match. The other 2 frames I have here have the same holes but not sure if all years have them. Bracket to bumper is 5 3/4, a little hard to see with the shadow in the picture. All the angle cuts are just 45 degrees as one would expect on an FJ45:D.
The center section is 4x4x3/8 angle. License plate holder and light are separate and removable to access the notch for the spare tire winch.
HTH and if there's anything else I missed feel free to ask.
View attachment 1805556 View attachment 1805557 View attachment 1805558 View attachment 1805559 View attachment 1805560
TNX for your time, kinda thought it would be similar. As you said you like nice but simple, me to a bit out on that project but like to be well informed so I can blow and go.
Best Skip

Really interested as well
Subscribed

Any idea why there was no factory bumper on these trucks? Seems odd to me that a truck built for hauling and commerce did not have a bumper and tow hitch.

Any idea why there was no factory bumper on these trucks? Seems odd to me that a truck built for hauling and commerce did not have a bumper and tow hitch.
Back in that time period it was common that trucks of all makes were bumperless on the back end
Dealers offered a dealer option but there were many variations depending on the location of the dealership.

Any pics or where they dealer made and not factory add-on options?

As I remember it was pretty much local metal fab places, however there was one company the made made many versions to fit lots of trucks was Bardon bumpers made from diamond plate. Well made and you didn’t eant to crash into them you would loose.

This was my idea of covering my ass on my 82 45. Simple tube stock, welded a insert tube receiver for my hitch with two side tubes to hold any side to side hits and two alignment tabs on the bottoms to help when installing the bumper, and can remove it when I want to tow my trailer. Added the FJ40 step later.

Photo taken on 2013-04-20 13-39-52 (2).jpg

Photo taken on 2013-04-20 13-39-18.jpg

Photo taken on 2012-12-07 11-33-21.jpg

Or three😀

Yeah, still alive. Just busy working on the property. Reading just not posting to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom