Fj45… being too tall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
Finally got my 45 back home. Starting to dial in some final fixes. As I drive it a bit more, these things are made for people no taller than 4’9”. Is there an option to swap clutch and brake pedals that are lower to the floor, and accommodate longer legs a bit better ?

I know how you feel! Before I recently purchased my FJ45, the last time I had driven one was my grandfathers HJ45 back when I was 17 years old. I had to stop driving it because the brake pedal throw was too long and I could only manage it with the door open. My FJ is tight but has nowhere near the pedal travel and is manageable to drive. I do plan on bending the indicator stalk at a 45 degree angle though as when I am turning right and applying the brake, I hit my knee on the stalk and flash the lights haha. I am 6-8" by the way.

Japanese people were this size ( small) back then and the model , (engineering) , would be the design. The FJ45 is difficult to drive unless you modify. Truth.

Last edited:
The first thing I would try to mount the seat a little further back

234060ß0986-3.jpeg

or.....
xxxl 12345t.jpeg

my plan is to raise the seat a couple inches and higher in the front than in the back, maybe 1/2 - 1". and a denser foam will keep from sinking to deep in the seat. and some pedal adjustments. of course I didn't test drive a 45 before I got the hankering to have one. I think I'll get used to use to it. just feels pretty weird. can't imagine being 6'8" and even being able to get inside the cab.

Few ideas to help but need more info. Stock steering? Stock seats? Drivers seat can't go up too far or the back hits the ridge by the lip for the hardtop which pushes it further forward. Raising the clamp on the steering wheel column helps a little. Only if you have a different steering system. I'm still attempting to dial in a comfy seating position. I might redo the bottom foam and cover to angle the back bottom foam so the back still flips forward but raises the bottom up.

Few ideas to help but need more info. Stock steering? Stock seats? Drivers seat can't go up too far or the back hits the ridge by the lip for the hardtop which pushes it further forward. Raising the clamp on the steering wheel column helps a little. Only if you have a different steering system. I'm still attempting to dial in a comfy seating position. I might redo the bottom foam and cover to angle the back bottom foam so the back still flips forward but raises the bottom up.
BTW the crank I got from you worked great! thanks.

stock steering. added power steering but the geometry is the same. didn't think about the ridge on the top. the foam in the seat might be the easiest attempt to make it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom