SOLD Fj40 wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Red
Hello,

I'm looking for an Fj40. My first vehicle was a 1970 in dune beige. Sold it when we had kids, dogs, etc. Now I'm retired and want another one.

I'm looking for one that's as original as possible. Years 1968 to 1978. I like the ambulance doors, but pre 1975 gets me away from the Oregon smog requirements. Three on the tree is fine. No V8 conversions, no highly modified wheelers. Tasteful upgrades like power steering, disc brakes are acceptable. Don't need AC as whenever it's warm enough for that, the top will be off. Will be mostly used for putzing around in nice weather, picking up cute girls and beer runs. 😉 No hard core wheeling.

My biggest limitation is, it needs to be freeborn red. I've always wanted a red one so I've decided to wait until I find one. I love the original wheels and hubcaps. An 8274 would be awesome. Soft top would be fine, save me the hassle of storing the hard top.

Obviously, I'd prefer as rust free as possible. Original paint would be fantastic. Some patina is okay. I'm not much of a mechanic but could handle some of that, with the assistance of the local LC shop. I'm not really interested in major body work. A restored vehicle would be fine, if done well and kept original.

I'd go to $35K for the right vehicle, but would prefer to be in the $20K's range to allow for my own addition/repairs. I'm in Oregon but willing to travel or ship. A road trip to one of the western states to check out a 40 would be fun. The further away it is, the nicer it would have to be. If it's sketchy, I'd want to see it in person and I'm probably not going to drive to Texas ot Tennessee....

As an example, I should have pursued this one, but was still wishy washy in my decision to buy. I've since decided to just pull the trigger. Life's too short and I'm not getting any younger. 🙂 Plus, the wife is fine with it (she hasn't yet figured out it will mean her car will have to park outside so the 40 can park inside. My side of the garage is already full of other toys.....).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Let me know what's out there. I peruse Craigslist and Facebook marketplace regularly, but I'm sure I miss some. Please don't be offended if I'm not interested in your vehicle, I realize I'm being very picky.

(Picture for attention only, though if this is you rig I'd love to hear from you)

ELN7wnuXUAM5JX6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone keeping their eyes open for me.

I'm waiting for a response to my inquiry on the 1975 on California.....2 days now.

I'm talking with Borrego about his sweet '71. That has potential and it's close enough to go see in person.

The '73 on ebay just seems....too nice maybe? Plus, I really don't like bedliner on the interior, even when it's color matched. I know, picky, picky.....

Let me know if run across something else! Thanks again.....

If you find a solid cruiser you can always paint it. 🤷‍♂️

Hello,

I'm looking for an Fj40. My first vehicle was a 1970 in dune beige. Sold it when we had kids, dogs, etc. Now I'm retired and want another one.

I'm looking for one that's as original as possible. Years 1968 to 1978. I like the ambulance doors, but pre 1975 gets me away from the Oregon smog requirements. Three on the tree is fine. No V8 conversions, no highly modified wheelers. Tasteful upgrades like power steering, disc brakes are acceptable. Don't need AC as whenever it's warm enough for that, the top will be off. Will be mostly used for putzing around in nice weather, picking up cute girls and beer runs. 😉 No hard core wheeling.

My biggest limitation is, it needs to be freeborn red. I've always wanted a red one so I've decided to wait until I find one. I love the original wheels and hubcaps. An 8274 would be awesome. Soft top would be fine, save me the hassle of storing the hard top.

Obviously, I'd prefer as rust free as possible. Original paint would be fantastic. Some patina is okay. I'm not much of a mechanic but could handle some of that, with the assistance of the local LC shop. I'm not really interested in major body work. A restored vehicle would be fine, if done well and kept original.

I'd go to $35K for the right vehicle, but would prefer to be in the $20K's range to allow for my own addition/repairs. I'm in Oregon but willing to travel or ship. A road trip to one of the western states to check out a 40 would be fun. The further away it is, the nicer it would have to be. If it's sketchy, I'd want to see it in person and I'm probably not going to drive to Texas ot Tennessee....

As an example, I should have pursued this one, but was still wishy washy in my decision to buy. I've since decided to just pull the trigger. Life's too short and I'm not getting any younger. 🙂 Plus, the wife is fine with it (she hasn't yet figured out it will mean her car will have to park outside so the 40 can park inside. My side of the garage is already full of other toys.....).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Let me know what's out there. I peruse Craigslist and Facebook marketplace regularly, but I'm sure I miss some. Please don't be offended if I'm not interested in your vehicle, I realize I'm being very picky.

(Picture for attention only, though if this is you rig I'd love to hear from you)

View attachment 2901380
I have a original paint red 1973 that I might sell

It' available, and one of my favorites 1980. It had a Summit V8 Crate put in it, and felt built up to me. Had a small quick fire but was quickly put out, Proffit cleaned that up and we had a buyer but then it fell through. I was going to post it soon and the others. I haven't seen anything pop up that's as nice on an 80. No rust. I think it's worth $37k now, just because it's an 80 and no rust. But I have not put an official price on it. No AC but has PS.

View attachment 2901823

View attachment 2901824

View attachment 2901825

View attachment 2901826

View attachment 2901827
Blue one in the driveway looks pretty sweet!

Hello,

View attachment 2901380

Hello,

View attachment 2901380
Hello, I have a recently imported very original and minimal rust 1981 bj 40 3B diesel right hand drive. I’m new to this so perhaps send me a email yetioaksb6@gmail.com for questions or interest

1971 Toyota Land Cruiser Fj40
[…]
Fully Original 2f 4.2L Inline 6

Yep, that’s “original”. Yep.
With floor shift, trailer rear lights and other bits…. Restored and original seem to be finding alternate definitions.

I really like this one, but it's not very original. Swapped out engine and transmission. White dash?
I don’t get the white dash. As far as the engine, kind of a like for like swap: still a 2F engine, just newer. Also has FJ60 third members for different gearing. Just depends how original you want and if you’re willing to compromise on any of it.
It sucks searching for something, especially the more specific you are, but it’s worth it in the end when you get exactly what you want. At least if you’re impatient like me.

Alright people, put your eyes on this and tell me what you see. It looks very original. Also looks like the rust is showing up in all the typical places, though not badly yet. Currently in Michigan, bought out of St. Louis, which makes me a bit nervous.

The owner doesn't seem to be a cruiser guy ( can't tell me if it has a lift or not). Says motor was pulled and resealed by previous owner. Says he needs close to $30K for it but hasn't given me a firm price (seems a bit high).

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks.

received_676781796678025.jpeg

received_492823715606529.jpeg

received_266238045634737.jpeg

received_363265981932791.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom