FJ40 Vin plate authentic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I am new to FJ's and looking at buying one. Here is a picture of the vin plate. It does not appear to match the year month system I have found online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seller claims 1980 model - non US

1686934013447.png

By the VIN this looks to be a kit and not a complete vehicle shipped from Japan. I know a number of countries required this. Venezuela I know was one in South America.
FJ40LVK might mean a kit by the K. U after the - probably means a three speed transmission.

Unidad is Spanish if that means anything

Unidad is Spanish if that means anything

Usually those letters are to describe certain these about about a vehicle is equipped and market it was imported to at the end. First letter on complete vehicles is the transmission. U being a three K a four speed and M a five speed. The 9XXXXX at the end of the VIN were kit vehicles can't confuse them with complete vehicles out of Japan because the number never got anywhere near that high.

By the VIN this looks to be a kit and not a complete vehicle shipped from Japan. I know a number of countries required this. Venezuela I know was one in South America.
FJ40LVK might mean a kit by the K. U after the - probably means a three speed transmission.
4 Speed transmission is currently in the vehicle. Which I prefer. From what I can see the Fj was imported into Miami, so South America would make sense

Looks like they tried to sell it on Bring a Trailer as well

Looks like they tried to sell it on Bring a Trailer as well

yep, not saying I am going to pay the pervious sales price. Just trying to avoid any "known" issues in advance. I am not scared of rebuilding the motor if needed.

The leading "9" in 919736 is Venezuelan assembly from a CKD.

yep, not saying I am going to pay the pervious sales price. Just trying to avoid any "known" issues in advance. I am not scared of rebuilding the motor if needed.
these south of the border cruisers, have a lottt of known issues

Does this have a one piece transfer case or split transfer case? By the glovebox door looks to be 8/80+ which is the same time the split case started.

Sold in 2021 for over $50K. For sale again. May have sold another time in 2021. For someone new to the 40 series a non US import, sold a few times in a few years and in the $50 range it would be a hard pass. Someone I knew I could trust who knows the 40 series would have to do a personal inspection before I would think of buying this one.

One of the auction pictures shows the Dana rear axle which were on Venezuela kit 40 series from around this time

One of the auction pictures shows the Dana rear axle which were on Venezuela kit 40 series from around this time

Yup, nailed it.

When it comes to "nice" South American trucks, thick lipstick pops into my mind right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom