FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim-

I guess if you base this statement on what gets coverage in magazines and other outlets, then you could be correct.

I still believe that far more people use these vehicles for trail riding or family trips, etc, than for exclusively pounding rocks.

:beer:

Great pictures/stories.

Great thread, love the old school pics / stories.....

cheers

Great thread, love the old school pics / stories.....

cheers

X2.

Keep 'em coming, guys!

Post 5, middle picture looks exactly like my 1970 Cruiser.

Work Horse 40 Series

I reckon that the majority of FJ's out there in the 70's and 80's were in 3rd world countries and used mostly for work - in remote locations.
I had one in the late 70's in Brunei on the island of Borneo, as a company vehicle and I used it to service oil wells in the jungle mostly. The pic shows my green RHD FJ45, an Oshkosh 4wd cementing truck, and yours truly after cementing an oil well along the South China Sea coast.
Driving that beast in the jungle, especially after a rain forest downpour was a hoot.
Oil Well Cementing.jpg

Circa.. 1975 Not a cruiser pic but what got me into cruisers...

My dad in front and me in the Ka-boy hat.
My ride was 55Willys wagon with a studabaker overdrive with a 307 Chev V8.

The only other rig on the mountain that could out do us was a 1973 FJ40 ....after that I knew I had to have a land Crusier.
2nd pic was 30 years later with him enjoying the cruiser. ... now I am as old as he was in that first picture.
notice his muzzle loader ... pic is not far from the where the first picture was taken.
grandpa_jeep.jpg
P0001005.jpg

Last edited:
FJ40-GARAGE... Niiice pictures and hell of a story!

31 years Land Cruiser influence did not only bring me to this forum it is a very big part of my life, i travel to a lot of countrys just to meet up with other cruiserheads, share time at their campfires and ride with them in my rig, their rigs or even walk along just to watch them drive.
I do meet up with strangers and leave friends when i have to drive home or take my plane back home again.
I see some of the most amazing landscapes, lifestyles and meet great people just because Land Cruisers are my passion for life.
Damn life is good when you have a passion and wherever you go people talk the same language = Cruisers.

:cheers:

Meadow Lake Road (2 wheel drive exit from Fordyce Creek) in late July for Sierra Trek Pre-run. Around 1980 --- even back then we didn't know which way the &&^%^ bezel went. The V dent on the hood was from a 5 pound clevis at the end of a snattchum strap while trying to extract a vehicle in the Santa Cruz Mountain Mud Slides. Lesson learned... only use your own equipment
SnowIntoMeadowLake1.jpg
SnowIntoMeadowLake2.jpg

Last edited:
this a a great thread keep em comming cool ass pics!

Ahhh, to be young and stupid. :doh:
:lol: Stuck in the (early) 80's........................
scan0019.jpg

Last edited:
I hope these work. They are scans from a magazine article. Pictures by Mark Werkmeister. I don't remember the publication. The article was "A tale of two trails" (Rubicon and Fordice Sierra Trek). My niece is driving my 40
MichelleOnFordyce1.jpg
MichelleOnRubicon2.jpg
MichelleOnRubicon1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom