FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sexy pictures of my wife & her 1977 FJ40 with 17,000 miles Grass Valley Ca. 1979

P1010242.jpg

P1010227.jpg

She only owned It for six months before she rolled It :frown:

Back in the day. what a day it was

The first pic is of my 72 FJ40 that I bought in 75. The second pic is of my 76 Fj55 i bought around 85. My son is standing with his first 2 lingcod that he speared at age 12 on the North Jettie,Humbolt Bay Eureka.

Rod
LC 001a.jpg
LC 002a.jpg

The Day it all changed

The first pic is my babby on it's back. The second pic is with it upright again. Thank God that I had a front cage, with the bar over my left shoulder. It would have crushed in on top of me for sure. You don't have to be wheeling to flip one of these, just day dreaming on a hairpin curve. Highway 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg. At least the diving that weekend was good.

Rod
LC 003a.jpg
LC 004a.jpg

These pictures should be titled "Why I am the way I am". When I was little, my parents' marriage was coming apart due mainly to my Mom's (undiagnosed at the time) bi-polar disorder. Whenever they would fight or my Mom would start screaming, my Dad would grab me and we'd jump in the Land Cruiser. Sometimes, when the top was off, he would buy us a couple of hamburgers and we'd go park by the airport and watch the jets come in right over our heads. On weekends, we'd go on trail rides with the club just the two of us. At that time, it was unusual for a man to wheel alone with a 2 year old child, but he loved it. He always promised me that when my feet reached the pedals, I would be allowed to drive. when I was 9 years old, he fulfilled that promise. Fast foward 31 years a lot has changed some good, some bad. But last weekend, when Dad and I took our FJ40's 'wheeling I realized that the best things haven't changed at all. If you've spent time in your 'cruiser with your father or your son, you understand.
CCF01222008_00003.jpg
CCF01222008_00005.jpg
CCF01222008_00006.jpg

Does anyone have pictures from back in the day? To get started, this is me in front of my Dad's '75. Picture was taken in August of 1977. The 'cruiser had burbank springs, 32 inch Tru-Tracs on White spokers, Downey header, Holley carb and a Warn winch. My Dad used to take me on club runs in a car seat! I'd love to find this rig again. Hopefully it's aged better than I have!

You asked one brilliant question...penned 6 sentences...and this is only your 10th post on the board!!
This was a terrific entry to MUD. Great thread and welcome.

Awesome pictures you guys. Sure makes me miss my old Armstron Tru-Tracs. I think I went through three sets on two different heeps and both of my cousins ran them on their 40's. I always thought they just looked right on those cruisers. Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks, I'd really like to find that truck again. It was my Dad's pride and joy. He sold it after installing Burbank springs that made the ride unbearable. Later, he got a '76 with a SBC that I learned to drive in when I was 9 and he currently has a stock '72 but none as nice as that '75. If I could ever locate it I'd restore it to the condition in these pics and give it back to Dad.

msapers, who did your dad sell the rig to? Keep in mind that DMV's are government entities and depending on the state subject to FOIA laws. And while you need a very valid reason to look up someone's driving history or license information I should think submitting a request for a VIN # on that rig would be ok. You might get a somewhat recent registration hit. Most states DMVs have PR/press person that deal with freedon of information requests. I'd submit the request, in writing, to this person along with a letter of what your intentions are. It's a long shot, but I'd love to see you locate your Dad's old 40 and give it back to him. I don't think there'd be a dry eye on Mud.:cheers:

I would like nothing more than to get that rig back for my Dad. He actually did find it again in 1984. Tried to trade his SBC '76 for it, but the new owner wasn't interested. The guy was nice enough to let my Dad take a picture with me behind the wheel though. This is it below. The 'Cruiser in the background is the SBC 1976 that I learned to drive in. I don't know if Dad would have anything with the VIN still. The license number was 911 NQA (California). Anybody know where it is?
CCF01222008_00007.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics and stories. Please keep them coming. There is something amazing about old pics and old 8mm movies. New tech cannot capture the same essence these old media capture.

Flash

I agree. I wish I could find a way to get my Dad's 8mm movies of when he pit crewed for Bill Stroppe and Parnelli Jones in the early 70's. I have a lot of race footage from the early Baja 500's and Mint 400's. Below is a pic of Parnelli Jones sitting in my Dad's home built buggy in the early 70's. Also an ancient Poloroid of Dad getting the buggy ready for a weekend of fun in the late 60's. The cage was made of muffler tubing (!!!!)
Parnellibuggy.jpg
CopyofCCF11242008_00011.jpg

Here's a pic of my dad's ('73?)FJ40. That's me and my mom back in 1986. I remember that day specifically. There's a dirt road that forks in the Auburn-Pownal, Maine area. My dad was fooling around and driving in circles just to get me to laugh. Too bad that my dad had to sell it and especially what had happened to it while the other person owned it. It was burned in a garage for insurance money. I'll try to get some more pics of it from my mom.
dadsFJ-1-1.jpg

Edit: pics added...
FJ40-1.jpg

Fj40-2-1.jpg

Sorry for the small, crooked, chopped off pics...

Last edited:
78 cruiser

This is a picture of my 78 that I had for about 6 months back in 1984. That was just enough time to do tires, lift, headers and carb and then someone decided that they liked it also and stole it from in front of my house. At the time I was going to NJIT which is in the a..hole of New Jersey and either someone scoped it out or one of the shops that did the work decided to have an extra key made. Never saw it again.:mad::mad::mad:
78 Land Cruiser resized.jpg

Got this picture out of an old Man-a-fre mag that came in the glove compartment of my cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom