FJ40 hardtop interchange- What years fit what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a fair price. I paid $200 for the top but it was rough. $450+ is more what I see them for. $200 for doors is cheap.

i have had motors like that before and removed the rocker arms cleaned everything up and they ran for years .plug the oil return hole in the head first .with the right combination of prats most toyota stuff will interchange

Will a 1968 fj40 body fit on a 1977 frame?

Hinge location will be different. The doors from pre 75 will work but the striker will be diiferent and require work. Just don't get bug catcher doors. You will have more issues with those.

Hard top side from mid 65 on will work. I know some think the sides around 74 angled in a little but my 68 FJ40 has the angle sides. Even my 65 FJ45LP-B with the non bug catcher vent window is angle on the side and back. The early corrugated tops with bug catcher vent windows were straight along the sides and back, making it a little larger. Those the fiberglass top is more domed.

While the tailgates are cool it does make excess into the back more difficult for passenger's. Barn doors are easier. Ambulance doors offer the best excess since passenger's can let themshelves out. The other require the spare tire being opened first. THe hatch has a handle inside but you can't open the door.:confused:
Does this mean the weatherstripping is different for the corrugated hard top? I’ve been searching for a reliable answer to this question as I keep getting different answers. I’m about to restore my fiberglass and want to make sure I can find a new rain gutter seal. Spector told me that the corrugated top has a different contour and the seal at the gutter and the seal between the body and hard top is also different, and very hard to come by. But both CCOT and cruiser corps told me they are all the same. Seems like you are the guy to clarify this for me.

Does this mean the weatherstripping is different for the corrugated hard top? I’ve been searching for a reliable answer to this question as I keep getting different answers. I’m about to restore my fiberglass and want to make sure I can find a new rain gutter seal. Spector told me that the corrugated top has a different contour and the seal at the gutter and the seal between the body and hard top is also different, and very hard to come by. But both CCOT and cruiser corps told me they are all the same. Seems like you are the guy to clarify this for me.

I am not around my early 40 to compare the shape. I do know the the sides on the corrugated tops are straight vertical from B pillar around the way around to the other B pillar. The later tops angle in on sides and back. The dimensions of the tub are the same. That alone means the later weatherstriping will be short on the sides and the back. I installed a OEM weatherstriping in my 10/69 FJ40. While it fit I did have to add an extra hole for the room light bracket. Would surious doubt hole s would be even close to matching up. Marv knew cruisers, before starting SOR he was at Man-A-Fre for years. Think some of that knowledge was passed along. Would ask any other vendor if they are willing to offer a full refund including return shipping if it doesn't fit. If they do would get it in writing and order one. All you have to lose is time. Few weeks will be back around my early 40s I also have later ones to check measurements which I've never done because tub the same size and sides and back have different angles it's just math that they will be different.

I am not around my early 40 to compare the shape. I do know the the sides on the corrugated tops are straight vertical from B pillar around the way around to the other B pillar. The later tops angle in on sides and back. The dimensions of the tub are the same. That alone means the later weatherstriping will be short on the sides and the back. I installed a OEM weatherstriping in my 10/69 FJ40. While it fit I did have to add an extra hole for the room light bracket. Would surious doubt hole s would be even close to matching up. Marv knew cruisers, before starting SOR he was at Man-A-Fre for years. Think some of that knowledge was passed along. Would ask any other vendor if they are willing to offer a full refund including return shipping if it doesn't fit. If they do would get it in writing and order one. All you have to lose is time. Few weeks will be back around my early 40s I also have later ones to check measurements which I've never done because tub the same size and sides and back have different angles it's just math that they will be different.
Don’t worry about the comparison, I’ll definitely try cruiser corps and see if they will take a return if it doesn’t fit and give that a go. Don’t stress the measurements, I’ll just give it a shot this way! Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom