FJ40 grinds gears when shifting into 1st or reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a 1973 fj40 with the factory f engine, and 3 speed tranny. When going into 1st gear or reverse under any condition, the tranny makes a “grinding gears noise” which is felt in the shifter. After holding the shifter there, the grinding noise slows down until it pops into gear. I have a feeling this has something to do with the clutch and not the transmission. It is also worth noting that when in gear and holding the clutch in for a long period of time, the clutch slowly grabs and the vehicle slowly begins moving, until the clutch is all the way seated on the flywheel while the clutch pedal is to the floor. I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder, so I have a feeling it is the clutch master cylinder that is in need of a rebuild. I just want a confirmation that this is what is happening, or possibly any other ideas why this is happening, thanks!

Sounds like the clutch master is bleeding down. Also no synchro on first or reverse so any disc engagement will make it that much more unlikely to engage smoothly. A trick is to put it in 2nd gear first to slow down the input before selecting 1st gear.

I was poking around under the car whilst replacing the cam in the engine and decided to take that plate that covers the bottom of the clutch and flywheel, and I noticed 3 fingers, at the end of those fingers was bolts that looked like they need to be set at a set distance, They have a decent gap and they are most certainly not at the same position. Pretty sure that this is contributing to the problem a decent portion, right? Here is a picture I found off the internet to show what I'm talking about in case you are lost.

IMG_1462.jpg

What you have is a Long style pressure plate and the adjustment bolt you're pointing to can be a different heights from the levers. There adjustment deals with constant and equal pressure on the clutch disc.

If the clutch is depressed and you can't get it into 1st or Reverse it is because the master or slave are defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom