FJ40 Front Seat Rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am interested in having my 1977 FJ40 front seat frames powder coated. Do these rails breakdown any further?
IMG_6624.JPG

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
@jrcfj40 How did you resolve this? I’m doing a seat restoration project and have the same question. Everything is being blasted and powdercoated, I’m stumped how to deal with the rails.

I 'd like to know also, I went to powder coater, and he said that he would not do it because the springs that release the pin on the rail slider would have to be removed, or they would be destroyed in the process of coating.

I see a small pin needs to be removed (punched through) on one side, the other side that has the releasing lever, the pin is attached to the lever? cannot be punched out with out grinding of the top of the pin on the releasing lever.

Is there some other way to get the spring out? I thought I saw a post where the fellow did the powdercoating of the spring ?

If they can be removed, springs can be replated as long as they are pre-baked and post-baked to avoid hydrogen embrittlement, as per Mil specs.

I am interested in having my 1977 FJ40 front seat frames powder coated. Do these rails breakdown any further?
View attachment 1373713

Thanks
Jeff
did you ever get the info you need? I need it too, how to remove the release springs on the side pin for adjustment?
If they can be removed, springs can be replated as long as they are pre-baked and post-baked to avoid hydrogen embrittlement, as per Mil specs.
Not sure what all that means, or still not clear on how to press out the pin on the drivers side adjustment lever? thanks though

While large seat-springs can be powdercoated, the smaller coiled seat-adjuster springs should not; either paint them or correctly plate them to avoid corrosion.

After I considered the potential problem of getting powdercoat on the rails, springs, and the handle (not to mention possible heat damage on the handle, I decided that spray paint is fine.

After I considered the potential problem of getting powdercoat on the rails, springs, and the handle (not to mention possible heat damage on the handle, I decided that spray paint is fine.

thanks edwjmcgrath , I have trouble with my painting, not sure why I am so incompetent at it, but every job that I attempt look horrible in the end. We have a great powdercoating shop near my house and so far they have done a great job. Problem is they have a month wait before they can start. So, need to be patient.

I took the springs off, and the rubber or plastic part of the handle was easily removed by using a heat gun to warm of the handle near the end cap that was a hard rubber or bakelite -like plastic,

I;ll let you know how they (the rails) work after the powder coat.

Hopefully all with go well. maybe I;ll post pictures. Also, having the slide pins and the springs replated with Cad plate.

thanks for your input once again.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom