FJ40 - 2F Engine Dip Stick Sleeve/Guide Replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an issue with the dip stick sleeve coming out of the hole each time I check the oil. Does anyone have a recommendation on how a new sleeve or guide (not sure what the part is named) can be installed so it does not come out every time the oil needs to be checked? Is it installed with compression or does it require a spot weld. I’ve owned two 1F engines in my past 1969 and 72 FJ40’s and this never happened.

Thanks. It’s good to be back working on these. Since it is “pressed” in, my guess is the sleeve diameter has been reduced a bit over time making it come out with the pressure of removing dip stick. I’ll get a new one and see how it installs. I wonder if anyone has needed to spot weld anything if hole has been bored out over time?

I haven't had to deal with that tube yet. I'd be inclined to just make the old one work.

One idea: clean up the tip, add a thin smear of JB weld, let the JB thoroughly dry, reinstall in block. If too snug, Sand the JB down a bit.

I wonder if anyone has needed to spot weld anything if hole has been bored out over time?

I would think the guide tube would wear, not the cast iron block.

Is this your 3rd cruiser? Good to hear you are enjoying getting back into working on your rig.

It’s been a VERY long time, but I seem to remember this happening to one of my rigs decades ago. And I seem to remember determining that a door pin would make a good drift to slightly expand the tube so that it would have more compression when reinstalled.

I just spotted some tubes.
D8D339A1-A686-4317-8B8E-C0068770B2B9.jpeg

I needed to pull one out for replating. Haven't pulled that box off the shelf for YEARS, just keep tossing them up there. Sorted into four piles. Right to left.
1. FJ25- no part number-oval loop
2. FJ40- metal crown over dipstick tube-60030
3. FJ40/55-rubber ring to seal dipstick tube-still solid wire-60031
4. FF40/55/60- rubver ring-blade type stick-61010
View attachment 1248757

That's a great point @thebigredrocker, the cast iron will not give. I'll try @65swb45 suggestion and try and expand the tube a bit to fit more snug when reinstalled. I bought my first one at 17 and second one in college. Drove it to and from Colorado and back to Massachusetts twice. It's been more than 25 years since I've owned one.

That's a great shot of all the tubes and dip sticks. I'm going to closely look at my set-up as it is likely the wrong stick was used causing too much force on sleeve to remove.

I replaced mine. I bought the tube from the dealership. I put a dab of Toyota FIPG Black sealant on the top area around the tube and tapped in with a block of wood and hammer, gently, hasn't leaked at all, also check your vacuum hoses and EGR valve routing. If they are routed incorrectly it can cause increased pressure in the engine and push oil out of areas you normally wouldn't have leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom