FJ28VA Completed by House of Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
Noticed they finished their 4-door FJ28VA (always wondered why some of the 4 doors are VA and others are L?) recently, I believe their plan is to take it to Barrett Jackson again. Obviously will be very curious what it goes for, don't plan to ever sell mine but given how much I've already sunk in it, would sure make me feel better if they fetch a bundle! Here's a link to the instagram story, I'll paste photos too for those lucky folks that aren't on social media. Have to say I'm not crazy about the color palette they chose but each to his own. I want mine to NOT look too much like a Willy's. As with most of these professional restorations, they did a lot of things great, and a few things (mostly in the engine bay) that I would have done more "correctly". Overall they seem to do really good work though. Glad to see another one preserved.

Quote from their post:
"It’s a wrap! Our last build for the year❤️ A very special one to wish you all a VERY HAPPY 2022! 🍾
1960 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ28L
This highly collectible and museum quality restored vehicle represents the Holy Grail of Land Cruisers - No more than a handful of this model is known to exist. Three-Year project using OEM, NOS and Handmade Parts.
Meticulously restored to show quality - exceptional original standards by House of Cruisers. There are only two more (4-door) in the US: One is being exhibited at @landcruisermuseum, and the other one was sold in 2020 as a survivor (unrestored) at Barrett-Jackson (both scouted by us @houseofcruisers).
Presented here is truly a collector’s dream! An extremely rare last-year production model of the longest-wheelbase version of the 20 series. These vehicles were produced by Gifu Auto Body Industries (see original emblem in rear-door).
This outstanding FJ28 was painstakingly restored during more than three years to show-quality standards throughout.
Restoration attended to both cosmetic and mechanical aspects. Fully rebuilt period correct - original engine: 3.8-liter F-type 105hp overhead-valve 6-cylinder mated to its original 4-speed transmission, rebuilt original drum brakes, new aluminized exhaust system and fully serviced and re-sealed OEM axles.
The interior is simply stunning, with beautiful color contrast - square upholstery from @relicateleather with matching boots for the gear shift, transfer case selector, and handbrake. Custom mats to protect the floors and all doors equipped with their original chromed handles and knobs. Original cluster + dash switches nicely restored, original steering-wheel, OEM Toyota Tool-bag and yellow Jack, very collectible owner’s manual, rare @toyota original emblems on the hood, Gifu Body original emblem on rear door, rare Japanese emblem in the dash + clean and original chrome strips on the horizontal grille, are just some of the features that makes this Land Cruiser extremely unique and collectible."

Photos

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 9.42.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 9.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 9.42.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 9.42.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 9.42.43 PM.png

That thing is beautiful!!! Only a few of these around and you are a lucky guy!!

Curious about the Japanese door plate--any translations out there?

From that vintage, wouldn't its original attachment have been rivets or at least the screw heads be slotted instead of cross-point?

A nice job, but for the price they're seeking: "period correct" and "exceptional original standards" = bedliner underbody, glossy clear-coated paint, etc.?

Tried using google translate on my data plate, but didn’t work that well. it appears the translation is something like:

“Gifu Body mutual stock book company ltd”
“Variant stock no 3290 Showa 35 year 1 A”
“Book company Gifu Ikeyena”
“Representative 9141-9144”

Guessing the bottom line is some kind of part number?

One thing I never noticed before is that the top logo is the same as the old Kyoto tool company logo.

I’m going to go check out the house of cruisers one in person on Friday with my body guy. I really hope it lights a fire under him he’s made very little progress since he got it a full year ago now. He’s great at what he does but when I brought it to him he was doing one project at a time. Now he’s got like 5 of them, newly married, and doesn’t seem as dedicated as I was told he would be. Sigh… good thing I’m not on a schedule.

1C39BBA9-D1FC-4352-9FF3-DCC60B4F95BD.jpeg

I can’t believe your patience!

I can’t believe your patience!
I wouldn't really say I'm patient, just don't have a lot of options! Its really hard to find people to do body work these days and its not an easy body to work on as anybody that's worked on a 45LV can attest - lots of "features" in the metal that require special tooling etc. Seems like lots of people have boatloads of disposable income and are throwing crazy money at hot rod builds, and some pretty high-end restorations. People that don't know cruisers don't understand how special these 28 Gifu wagons are. I've kinda decided to see how the next 6 months go and then re-assess. The shop I had it at before didn't know what they were doing, but they worked pretty fast on it. The shop its at now knows what they're doing, but they're slow as molasses. Doesn't seem like fast and good are really possible unless I want to throw 6 figures at just the body. Truth be told I'm pretty sick about how long its taking, but I guess on the positive side I've spent very little on it the last year since he's worked very little on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom