FJ25 and early 40's front and rear seats, lets talk about them. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have got my hands on some coral vinyl and plan to make some covers for the 25 and 40's, But not having an original set to go by I wonder if the 40 front bench and the long jumps are the same?

I have a 45 front seat that I just had powder coated and plan to cover, so what are the differences?

Do the jumps have open corners?

Thanks,

Shane

Dang Shane, I'm going away for a week.

Hopefully the other guys can gather the information for you, I'm taking off and won't be able to get any info until later. I "think" they are the same as the early 40, just not sure when the early 40 changed. The Jumps have flaps that wrap around the top and sides of the frame, I'm not sure if the cushions would be the same on the 25 style high arm and the low arm jump seat. I've got good passenger seat and jump seat upholstery that I could peel off and send you if it helps. Drivers seat is a mystery to me, my stock seat frame is much lower (thicker bottom pad) than passenger seat not sure if it's the hokey aftermarket upholstery job though................

As it happens I have a full set of (what I believe are) unmolested seat cushions out of a 25 HT, pictures here. I'm away from my stuff too, but I think the 25 and E-40 front seats are the same, I'll have to check on the jumps...Would consider giving these up for patterns....
P1220016.JPG
P1220017.JPG
P1220013.JPG

sorry to hijack but FJnotCJ, have you got any pics of the bracket bottoms of those early jump seats?

thanks, Sean

I have looked at those over and over. I am not sure if they are original...........If I am going to invest in making them I cant be wrong.

Anyone have a set of original covers for patterns?

Shane, Phil's covers are the real deal for the 25. Still not sure if the 40 would be the same. If you really need to verify, I can try to roust some of the folks with original seats that aren't on the board.

I have looked at those over and over. I am not sure if they are original...

Ya know, you might be right about the fronts....the fabric is just a little "off" from the rears, stitching is "off" in places, and the tabs to screw the covers to the frames just don't jive with the illustrations in the parts manual...good copies using the original stuffing, I'll still go with the jumps being original...

Good news is that the 1961 40 parts manual says the 25 and E-40 front seat frames and cushions are the same, but jumps are different between 25 and 40...

You have a customer waiting for a couple sets, offer still stands on my 25 jumps for patterns:)

67AZ-what do you need a picture of? I am home for a day or two....

I have a 61 FJ40 and the front seats are identical to the FJ25s. (I will take a set when you make them)

The jump seats I have are slightly different than the ones posted above but it seems the difference is in the arms and not the seat cushions. I could send a complete set of the cushions in the pics below to use as templates. Let me know.
Jump Seat.JPG
Jump Seat1.JPG
Jump Seat2.JPG

My FJ40 61 jump seats might still be orginal but in bad shape. They havetwo arm rests like the FJ40 but lower like the later FJ40s. I think the color changed around 65/66 but I think the pattern for the rear jump seat stayed the same until 72 when they changed the shape of the bottom of the seat. The front seats I believe changed with the 64 model and the tool box change, got more padding, making them thicker. While the jump seats stay thin. If you find that to be the case I do have jump seats from my 68 that have been stored away still around 1980. I haven't even seen them in years but I remember only one tear in the bottom of one of the cushions. The other one was still prefect.

John

Shane,

Do you need the covers for my jumpseats? Let me know.

More original seats, this is the passenger from a 1962 FJ40.
62.jpg
62back.jpg
62bot.jpg

Note how the bottom is only secured along the front and can flip up.
flip.jpg

Jump seats. Original covered seats from a '63 next to a FJ25 jump seat frame. All the screw holes were the same and I didn't see any reason that the 40 cover would not work on the 25, but, the detail shot is the top corner of the seat frame the round corner top seat cushion just wouldn't work well.
25401.jpg
2540.jpg
corner.jpg

Last edited:
How many seats did you estimate you could get out of that square footage?

I am looking for some 25 front seat frames . Do you have any?
Thank you Mudrak 707-292-3509

This thread was such a useful reference in the search for my '61 FJ40 front seats that I thought I'd bump it up to ask a couple questions instead of starting a new thread.

1. What material would you suggest I use for cushions? Foam? Any specific kind? Can you even get the old original padding material anymore? What is that old stuff called, anyway? If I can still get the original padding material do you think it would actually be more expensive to install than foam? And is it a foregone conclusion that foam is more comfortable than the original padding material?

2. There has been some discussion about the thickness of the padding, that perhaps the only difference between the 25 and the early 40 seats was the thickness of the cushions? What thickness cushions/padding would you use for both the backs and the bottoms?

This thread was such a useful reference in the search for my '61 FJ40 front seats that I thought I'd bump it up to ask a couple questions instead of starting a new thread.

1. What material would you suggest I use for cushions? Foam? Any specific kind? Can you even get the old original padding material anymore? What is that old stuff called, anyway? If I can still get the original padding material do you think it would actually be more expensive to install than foam? And is it a foregone conclusion that foam is more comfortable than the original padding material?

2. There has been some discussion about the thickness of the padding, that perhaps the only difference between the 25 and the early 40 seats was the thickness of the cushions? What thickness cushions/padding would you use for both the backs and the bottoms?

original was horsehair and burlap. my upholsterer used foam in my seats but he used some cushy low density crap...don't do that. we had to put plywood down on the springs the keep the foam from squeezing out and getting a spring someplace unhappy. now it jsut feels like we're on a park bench. after rubithon, i will source some hi density foam. it's pricey, will cost close to $100 to do the front lowers, but should be far more pleasant. an example of higher density foams would be boat seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom