FJ25 and early 40's front and rear seats, lets talk about them. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

original was horsehair and burlap. my upholsterer used foam in my seats but he used some cushy low density crap...don't do that. we had to put plywood down on the springs the keep the foam from squeezing out and getting a spring someplace unhappy. now it jsut feels like we're on a park bench. after rubithon, i will source some hi density foam. it's pricey, will cost close to $100 to do the front lowers, but should be far more pleasant. an example of higher density foams would be boat seats.

Thanks. Just dropped off the front seats at the upholstery shop. Took in a pristine swatch given to me by a Mud member and was quoted $250 to upholster both seats over high density foam in that "awesome" orange-colored vinyl. "Coral," I think they call it?

The question is though, how thick should I have him cut the foam? Does four-inches on the bottoms and two-inches on the backs sound too thick? Too thin? The one seat I got with upholstery still on it looks to have the original horsehair and burlap. The bottom cushion on that seat measures 2 1/2" thick and the seat back cushion is 1 1/2" thick.

Anyone know the "correct" thickness for front seat cushions on a 1961 FJ40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom