FJ 60 Antifreeze spewing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Temp gauge went HIGH a few days ago when I was 3 blocks from home. I limped home and shut her down...Antifreeze was spewing from this port...a lot. (this is the passenger front wheel well on firewall...Brake line to the left and double Heater lines to the right) Any Ideas of my possible issue? Water Pump, Thermostat, ????? no wet carpet inside, but seems like this started when I used the rear heater...just do not know where to start instead of just pulling things apart. Thoughts????

IMG_7811.JPG
IMG_7813.JPG

Did you do any work on it recently? Air in system?

That right angle hose coming out of the firewall is the drain for AC condensation build up INSIDE the heater/AC evaporator compartment. If the heater core springs a leak, coolant will dribble out of that hose. Bummer. Gotta take a look at the heater core. Dash needs to be removed to get at it IIRC.

Heater cores are getting to be near impossible to find. You may want to see if you have a radiator shop locally that can rebuild it for you.

That right angle hose coming out of the firewall is the drain for AC condensation build up INSIDE the heater/AC evaporator compartment. If the heater core springs a leak, coolant will dribble out of that hose. Bummer. Gotta take a look at the heater core. Dash needs to be removed to get at it IIRC.

Wow..ok. sounds fun. hahahah, is there a link or thread you would suggest on how to do that?

Is it at all possible that the core needs flushed along with the Radiator?

Flushing won't help if it's leaking..

Flushing won't help if it's leaking..
yup..understood. Was just curious if that port is only for if and when the Core springs a leak? By the looks of the Right Angle hose,..it has been leaking for some time..? or is there another reason that this would spew?

Last edited:
If you can't get to the fix now, you could always by-pass the heater, seeing as how it's almost summer, and pull the core (you're gonna have to) and either replace or fix)... There's also some damn O-rings in there that can leak. Either way, you've got to get to it to diagnose.

I would do this sooner than later, before engine overheats or the core really blows and you've got hot coolant in your passenger area.

That port is also a drip outlet for Condensate from the A/C.

Actually, searching around, it looks like that heater core may still be available from Toyota for around $350 ? But not sure....

Last edited:
If you can't get to the fix now, you could always by-pass the heater, seeing as how it's almost summer, and pull the core (you're gonna have to) and either replace or fix)... There's also some damn O-rings in there that can leak. Either way, you've got to get to it to diagnose.

I would do this sooner than later, before engine overheats or the core really blows and you've got hot coolant in your passenger area.

That port is also a drip outlet for Condensate from the A/C.

Actually, searching around, it looks like that heater core may still be available from Toyota for around $350 ? But not sure....
Thanks for this!...yeah, I found one for $150ish.. Getting to it this weekend.

Be aware you may need to source some new O-rings, too. The old ones are always brittle and crumble when you separate the core from the pipes. System will leak without them. And they're wonderfully metric.

I think in the FAQ, there's a thread where someone had the pipes brazed on, instead of the crappy set up Toyota uses. You'll see what I mean when you get the thing apart.

Good luck.

Yeah this is a potential hazard for all of us in the future. It's not like these heater cores start leaking from neglect. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent it from happening eventually. We all have ticking time bombs.

I think all of us should carry a pair of capped 5/8" hose nipples in the car (& hose clamps) to be able to bypass the heater core if it blows on a long trip away from home.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

5/8" union would work too.

62073psku.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom