Builds FJ 45 Extended Cab Custom Vehicle Build Finally Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been fighting fuel pump issues since I attended the Alaska Cruiser Trek. They actually started the day before the Trek at a campsite. In the mean time, I found another pump and had it rebuilt. I pulled the original pump and installed the new pump. I was connecting the throttle cable and realized I had the wrong pump. It had absolutely No return springs. The Injection pump company sent me the wrong pump as well as the sent my pump to another customer.

So I had the original rebuilt.

I believe this may have been the core of more than a few of my problems.
004.jpg
005.jpg
007.jpg

Thanks Skip

If anybody takes the time to read this thread, they will quickly find that I do not call this an FJ45 and since it is not an FJ45, it is not in the FJ45 section.

As far as the other thread, Jack knows his stuff and is a great resource. Once in awhile it rubs him the wrong way that this thread title has FJ45 in it. I have asked Woody to change the title before it hit page 3 but there were so many links and trayback on it by that time that it would be a nightmare.

I have a 1964 FJ45 in the FJ45 section. It is getting a Cummins 4BTA/4L80e. :D

Dan

'D'
There are some opinionated individuals on the blog that have accused you of being dishonest. I don't see anywhere you have tried to give the impression that you have a 45 from your build. In our hobby it is nice to be able to individualize our rigs to the liking of the individual, personalities of ourselves and come up with something special that is ours. I have no problem if you want to be a purest and go in that direction that is what our sport is all about. However it would be nice to have others to enjoy the hard work and craftsmanship just as we do with theirs. I hope this topic doesn't turn into a pissing match between and divide our MUD members between this topic. My thought is you don't have to like it but it would be nice if you could say I understand what they are doing. I have for one enjoyed your journey along with some others builds in there quest to individualism of there project. I will be moving forward with my 40 to completion of a extended cab pickup, not sure what I will call it yet and have appreciated you and others for sharing you journeys with us so we may have a individualized rig of our own and not have to create a new mouse trap. Best skip

Last edited:
Eeeks, that first pump doesn't look too good. Was that the pump that was on your 4bt when you got it?

I think running the pump w/o the KSB is the way to go. The KSB will eat up the pump if it stays on according to one of the pump builders I talked to.
Thanks for posting this information. I know that rebuilding a pump and injectors can cost 800 to 1k for the pump and around $100 each for the injectors and doing it myself is not something I feel is prudent.. The 4bt's typically aren't discarded until they need work. It is important to budget this into a build as a possibility. The carrot of good fuel economy is nibbled away by the cost of repairs, adapters gears and time when considering the good and bad aspects of a diesel swap.

The original pump was suppose to have been rebuild when it was installed on the Cummins Re-Man engine. I'm guessing it was not.

The other pump had the single line KSB removed and it was completely rebuilt by rebuilder in Peoria. He got the 4BT pumps he rebuilt mixed up sent me back the wrong pump.

Fully loaded, I was getting around 17mpg with the rig with the old pump on it. I'm wondering what I will get now. It is running much better than it ever has.

I have been fighting fuel pump issues since I attended the Alaska Cruiser Trek. They actually started the day before the Trek at a campsite. In the mean time, I found another pump and had it rebuilt. I pulled the original pump and installed the new pump. I was connecting the throttle cable and realized I had the wrong pump. It had absolutely No return springs. The Injection pump company sent me the wrong pump as well as the sent my pump to another customer.

So I had the original rebuilt.

I believe this may have been the core of more than a few of my problems.

What were the symptoms you were experiencing Dan? You were brave, making the trek when not feeling the rig was one hundred percent.

Glad to hear it feels better than ever, and hope your pump vender has made things right with the mix up and all.

I thought the rig was 100% before I left for the trek.

Literally at camp in Tok the night before we left the rig started leaking fuel from the pump. I called around and found a Bosch "O" ring rebuild kit in Anchorage. One of the other trekers picked it up for me and brought it all the way to Tok. John B and I rebuild as much of the pump as we could without removing the pump. It leaked a very little bit during the trek.

When I got home the rig was on the back burner. I had been neglecting some chores while thashing to get the rig ready for the trek. I caught up on everything and then used the rig for towing the local ranchers out of thier mountain ranches for the entire winter season. Next spring it was when I pulled the pump.

As far as how it ran versus how it runs now, the best way to describe it is when you buy a used car better than your old one. The new-to-you car runs great adn when you replace the plugged Cat Converters it runs a whole lot better.

My symptoms were hard to start after it sits over night. It may require 2 attempts to get it started using 5 second cranking. In the world of diesels, that is hard starting.

HI Dan
TNX for the reply, and yes I have been following you on the new project , it is going nicely. Cant remember if I told you I got a 40 tub and have started my journey on it cutting it down as well as designing the 6' extension of the so called 45 clone rebuild it has been fun. I did have a little set back in late August went to the Dr. and found out I needed open heart surgery. Luckily I caught it before i had a heart attack. four months later I am back stronger than ever and just starting to make plans to get back on it. In the down time it gave me some time to collect parts and that kept me going, having a 10# weight limit lifting. Anyhow back at it and rearing to go plenty to catch up on the honey do list so her we go. Good luck with the pump looks like you are going in the right direction. Best...

Perfect ride to get a Cappuccino :)

^^^^

I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL

But I'm sure the skim/latte/foamed was for his wife.

^^^^

I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL

But I'm sure the skim/latte/foamed was for his wife.

Uhhh... Yeah... That's it...

;)

LOL
I was actually at the Barber Shop across the street. Wildflower Cafe was the only place to park it and keep an eye on it.

The 2 empty 55gal barrels are from the fuel I donated to the farmer who works the ground at the local community gardens. The food grown at the gardens help feed the homeless.

Way to go Dan.

Take all the fun out of a perfectly good mocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom