Fj 40 Aluminum tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tub install is pretty freakin easy... you have to look at the work you ARENT doing when you install it.

all that rotten s***, fender wells etc etc, that would take you days to repair, you hack off in one fell swoop.

( and I've always said, cutting your truck in half is very therapeutic.)

it's easily done in a weekend, as for the fuel tank, you might be able to use the one in it, the frames are pretty much the same, and the tank is strapped to the bottom of the tub, so I'd leave it on there, lower it onto your frame and see if it fits.

if not, there's the aux fuel tank route.

looks like a good deal to me. good thing I'm too cheap to buy it , or I'd be over there picking it up while you're bein' all feminine and indecisive...:flipoff2:

If he doesn't get on with it I'm going to figure out how to pay for it and go buy it myself.

On that matter is anyone interested in the cage, softtop or any other parts?

well I finaly managed to get a call through to the guy. and i got it... getting it saturday he says I can part it out on his land for an extra 100 bucks (long as I get it done in a month)

Heres what its got:

Supposubly running 350
Landcruiser Running Gear
Adapter plate 350 -> landcruiser

soft top soft doors ( I might keep these) and all the rest of the misc. stuff off of a 40. He's not sure on a year but at 1000 bucks its too good a deal to pass up.

Let me know if theres anything you guys need or want and I'll pull it or you can come pull it and we'll work out a price/trade for it.

is there something wrong with the frame that is under it? Why don't you just fix up that one using your truck as a parts rig?:idea: the front end sheet metal doesn't look that bad, see if you can get registration for it, if not just swap your VINs.

ken, I'm just worried because it has a s***ty 350 swap by the sounds of it... he said that it had a well made adapter plate (purchased somewhere) and my front metal is mostly good... i can pull fenders, and windsheild off of this one... and the tub and I think that would fix all my rust problems save for my doors.

If in doubt swap boddies and keep your old frame. I lifted mine off w a big engine hoist in one piece.

ken, I'm just worried because it has a ****ty 350 swap by the sounds of it... he said that it had a well made adapter plate (purchased somewhere) and my front metal is mostly good... i can pull fenders, and windsheild off of this one... and the tub and I think that would fix all my rust problems save for my doors.

How bad can it be? just ugly motor mounts? un-ghettoing:hillbilly: a motor swap is probably easier than a body swap, and then you'll have two trucks (one to sell?) Where is this clunker anyways? Let me know if you need some help Stephen, I seem to have some time on my hands lately:eek:.

I'm going to go give the guy some cash on saturday and get a better look at it... It has had a 350 swaped into it.. .so god knows what has been going on in there... but you do raise a good point I'll look at it closely I think a buddy of mine is going to come up and take a look at it with me... if you wanna go up sometime on saturday ken let me know. Also I have all of next week off school and so if possible I'd like to get it done in that week....

i'll be surfing/snowboarding untill tuesday or wednesday (I like this retirement business:p), I'll give you a call when I get back.:cheers:

i would be interested in just little odds and ends from that cruiser... dash pads or switches.... and if you decide that you dont want the top let me know.. i might be interested... mines getting a little beat up this winter...

I'm thinking I'll probubly want the top... it was on my list of things I need but if its in rough shape I might be passing it on... but you wouldn't want it then probubly...

as for the little odds and ends probubly won't be a problem... I actualy have an extra dash...

I'm looking for the L side dash pad also. If there is a spare one.

i might be able to give you a hand pullen stuff....pretty sure i know where its at...gimme a shout if you need anything

Uhhhh, if it is a 79+ tub and you have a 75 frame, it is not a simple swap... AT ALL, it not just an issue of where the fuel tank is mounted. The frames and correspondingly, the tubs, have some significant differences. Do a search here and/or look at a Factory service manual for frame dimensions of both years also, the Tech links: This is a 79+ body. IF it is a 79 tub, I recommend taking Ken's advice and putting the 2F into the 79. Welding in new engine mounts easier than welding in new body mounts.

Good luck.
stump

The most obvious difference is that 79 and newer tank is below the floor and is below both front seats.

Other than that check the door post on the drivers side, or the frame # on the right front in front of the Right wheel.

I can probably borrow a smaller trailer, if that helps, and I'm off work at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom