Fitting Full Fat 35x12.5 on an LX (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you know whether you need a body mount chop?

My tires don’t rub and I’ve got a fat fingers width at the closest spot

15 offset and kenda 35x11.50r17…true 34.5” when weighted on the vehicle.

For your fitment and offset, I think you might be fine against the body mount.

The test I use is to trail brake into a turn. That is having some steering dialed in and brake while listening for any rub.

Having more caster dialed in can also help pull the tire forward away from the BM. May want to avoid UCAs if you don't need it as that pulls the tire rearward towards the BM.

How do you know whether you need a body mount chop?

My tires don’t rub and I’ve got a fat fingers width at the closest spot

15 offset and kenda 35x11.50r17…true 34.5” when weighted on the vehicle.

go into low, and turn full lock to lock. See if you hit anything

Spare tire

I won't go down the path of rear swingouts for several reasons. So I need to maintain a workable spare. I continue to be amazed at what the 200-series can fit.

My situation is a bit unique in that I have a 12.5 gallon LRA aux tank in the boot. This pushes down the spare by 1". I wasn't happy with how far my previous 33.2" x 12.3" tire hung down in combination with the subtank.

Ideally, I would have a matching spare as I did with 33s, but because of diameter and width concerns, led me to use a non-matching skinny - 275/65R20LT, specs 34.1"x11". Versus 34.5"x12.5" for the full fat 35x12.5 tires. The spare is still a full performance tire, so in the off chance I need it, I can still continue on whatever trip without concern. Those without a tank can get additional width accommodations by removing the bracket on the leading edge, and bending the tube bracket upwards, that comes off the rearmost frame member.

Diameter concerns to the 4x4 system shouldn't be an issue as they're close enough - 609 to 602 revs per mile, or about 1% diff. Whatever difference could easily be made up for in inflation pressure.

Fit in the boot is tight, but good enough. This pic is with the suspension in full droop, so there is the possibility of contact with the panhard bar on extreme compression. I'll check later but I think it'll fit with clearance.

View attachment 2448982

Diameter comparison. Hard pressed to tell which tire is the shorter (hint: far right)
View attachment 2448985

Spare in place
View attachment 2449003
Out of curiosity, did you do any tire pressure vs height tests with the 34.1” tire and 34.5” tire?

Like does a 35 aired down to 30 psi vs a 34.1 aired up to 60 psi workout to be the same height or something similar?

Out of curiosity, did you do any tire pressure vs height tests with the 34.1” tire and 34.5” tire?

Like does a 35 aired down to 30 psi vs a 34.1 aired up to 60 psi workout to be the same height or something similar?

Coming from the sports car world with AWD and staggered fitments, one of the strategies is to look at the manufacturers specs. They've done that work with a revs per mile spec based on standard inflation pressure. If those numbers are within 2-3%, good enough.

For my specific tire sizes, it's 609 to 602 revs per mile, or about 1% diff.

Adding here as a reference but I initially thought I could get away without a BMC on my “runs small” 35x12.50 KO2s at 25mm offset but I’m glad I did it. I did what others have done and just notched the mount and pounded it back maybe 1/2”

IMG_4685.jpeg

Enhance 🔎

IMG_4686.jpeg

View attachment 3557119Got some 35x12.5r17 KO2’s fitted with mrw314 17x7.5 methods in the titanium gloss color. Haven’t stuffed the tires yet but BMC might need to be done. I just followed Teck’s guide on the rest of the fender and no rubbing issues currently mall crawling around

Woof!! Looking mighty fine there.

View attachment 3557119Got some 35x12.5r17 KO2’s fitted with mrw314 17x7.5 methods in the titanium gloss color. Haven’t stuffed the tires yet but BMC might need to be done. I just followed Teck’s guide on the rest of the fender and no rubbing issues currently mall crawling around

The 314s are 18mm right? My 25mm 701 just barely clear at full lock/stuff and I have a BMC.

Isn't the minimum wheel width for these tires 8.5"? Did you install them yourself?

Isn't the minimum wheel width for these tires 8.5"? Did you install them yourself?
Tire shop installed them didn’t seem to care about it and I’m not the only one on here running these rims on 12.5 wides. Doesn’t bother me i feel the only time that would really matter is if you were towing heavy and pressuring them up to there maximum rating which I’ll never do with this I have an f-250 for that but normal daily driving should be no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom