Fitting an fj80 axle assembly to a fj55? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How can I compensate for the difference in width? Can I get off set wheels to bring the tires back under the fenders

You don’t want the extra width? You planning on going with a coil suspension? What is the difference? I know the difference in width between a 60 and 55 is 70mm, something that’s pretty useful as you go up in height.

The fj 80 axles I want to use are 8" wider than the stock fj55 axles. They are full floaters with disk brakes and lockers, way superior to the semi float that are stock. How can I compensate for the extra width? I don't want to cut them down to fit, want to keep them stock. Perhaps a set of inner wheels from a duelly will bring the tires back under the fenders???

You don’t want the extra width? You planning on going with a coil suspension? What is the difference? I know the difference in width between a 60 and 55 is 70mm, something that’s pretty useful as you go up in height.
The difference between the 55 and the 80 is 8 ". That would put my tires way out of my fenders. Want to bring them back in with offset rims.

I narrowed an fzj 80 rear to run on my pug... should have left it wide!!! The 16” wheels have more backspace than the 15”s. Leaving it full width will net you only about 2” more track width overall than you currently should have... hth

Be interested in seeing the look of the wheels you go with, though not holding my breath on them being a good look. Negative backspaced wheels are usually just fugly. But... maybe you can be the exception.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

80 axles
Early tundra 16” spare wheels
255/85 16 bfg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom