Builds First Toyota... 1983 FJ60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MA9622.gif

MA4797D.gif

Your oil filter mount is going to be part of the oil cooler mount like the lower image above. Plan to replace the oil cooler bolt rings and gaskets at the same time you replace the oil mount gasket. Rings and gaskets are still available from Toyota. You'll need a LARGE socket for the bolts. I think they are 32 mm but double check this. Also, clean up the oil cooler when you have it off. I'd use a can or 2 of parts cleaner ie brake cleaner, consider repainting. Replace any old-rock hard heater hoses with new 5/8th inch heater hose. I wouldn't bother with Toyota hoses....they are way pricey and these don't have really hard bends so generic heater hose is fine.

Your oil filter mount is going to be part of the oil cooler mount like the lower image above. Plan to replace the oil cooler bolt rings and gaskets at the same time you replace the oil mount gasket. Rings and gaskets are still available from Toyota. You'll need a LARGE socket for the bolts. I think they are 32 mm but double check this. Also, clean up the oil cooler when you have it off. I'd use a can or 2 of parts cleaner ie brake cleaner, consider repainting. Replace any old-rock hard heater hoses with new 5/8th inch heater hose. I wouldn't bother with Toyota hoses....they are way pricey and these don't have really hard bends so generic heater hose is fine.
I ordered the gaskets from Toyota for the cooler, apparently regular o-rings do not work.

Did you confirm it is coming from the block/gasket area? Both surfaces clean enough to eat off of? A very thin layer of fpig on both sides of that paper gasket works really well. oil pressure sender is not leaking? I know how frustrating that is.....

Did you confirm it is coming from the block/gasket area? Both surfaces clean enough to eat off of? A very thin layer of fpig on both sides of that paper gasket works really well. oil pressure sender is not leaking? I know how frustrating that is.....
After I replace the oil cooler orings from the Toyota dealership the leak look like it transferred back to the oil filter housing. I had cleaned and scraped it clean with a razor blade. So the bolts are snugged down really well. Just can’t figure out where I’d coming from. Very irritating

I know its been mentioned before...but double check there is only one o-ring on that filter.....also make sure its not coming from where the pressure sender is screwed in. I would be surprised if it was coming from the mounting area at this point. Is it leaking all the time or only when running?

With the engine running, try shining a seriously bright flashlight around the area (if you haven't already).
You may be able to follow the flow of the ooze to its source. You might need a small mirror, or your phone.
I used my Dewalt work light to find a leak from an o-ring under a bolt on a power steering pump.

At this point I'd be thinking about swapping out the housing. Maybe it's warped or cracked? Are you sure all the mounting bolts have completely seated/sealed? Could something small have gotten into one of the holes and created a small gap preventing a good seal like an old piece of o-ring or gasket/rtv? I'm new to this engine platform as I just picked up a 60 myself so forgive me if these suggestions are ridiculous but I'm no stranger to wrenching. Sometimes it's the littlest thing that causes the largest headaches.

I know its been mentioned before...but double check there is only one o-ring on that filter.....also make sure its not coming from where the pressure sender is screwed in. I would be surprised if it was coming from the mounting area at this point. Is it leaking all the time or only when running?
Double checked the print twice where the oil filter is. It’s only leaking when running. Any thoughts?

With the engine running, try shining a seriously bright flashlight around the area (if you haven't already).
You may be able to follow the flow of the ooze to its source. You might need a small mirror, or your phone.
I used my Dewalt work light to find a leak from an o-ring under a bolt on a power steering pump.
It does make a gurgling noise right before it starts leaking. I’ve looked with a light as best as I can.

Thanks for the pics! Have you checked if the side cover is leaking just above the oil filter housing? part 15621 is attached to the oil filter, so there is just one gasket there. what about the oil pressure sender where is screws into housing? Its probably something simple as leaks have a way of doing that. Man that stinks.....

Thanks for the pics! Have you checked if the side cover is leaking just above the oil filter housing? part 15621 is attached to the oil filter, so there is just one gasket there. what about the oil pressure sender where is screws into housing? Its probably something simple as leaks have a way of doing that. Man that stinks.....
Side cover?

Its the thing with the X's imprinted on it going the length of the block. There is a part just above the oil filter housing that almost touches the bottom of it. I would just check to make sure its not coming from there as it would only leak if running. I painted mine gold back when I replaced the cork gasket on it. Oil can find its way out from those small bolts also.
2021-02-26 17.22.55.jpg

I
Its the thing with the X's imprinted on it going the length of the block. There is a part just above the oil filter housing that almost touches the bottom of it. I would just check to make sure its not coming from there as it would only leak if running. I painted mine gold back when I replaced the cork gasket on it. Oil can find its way out from those small bolts also.View attachment 3279702
just went out and checked. Oil leak has stopped. I cleaned all the surfaces again, basically made a gasket with rtv, torque all the bolts and let it set for about 2 hours. No leak. 😎🤙🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom