first time stranded fj62 - crank no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Temperature dropping (mid 20F), snow falling and made a running to the dump...(15 min drive). Turned off the truck while unloading (5min)...

First time in 20yrs the truck cranking but not catching...battery fine but no even a partial start. Tried to tap starter but no difference.

I read through several threads here. Could a fuel flow issue come up that quickly? Is there any other first tier (in the field path to try?). The truck is not in a great place to do work (outside the fence at the bellingham dump) and temps are due to be in high teens next week.

Truck now pushed out of the way. Welcome any suggestions.

did you try jumping the fuel pump in the diagnostic ports?

I'm not familiar with that approach. Searching now - but not immediately finding a "how to"... is there a thread that explains this?

First time in 20yrs the truck cranking but not catching...battery fine but no even a partial start. Tried to tap starter but no difference

Pls give us a better description of your troubles. If it is ‘cranking’, that means the starter is working and there would be no need to ‘tap the starter’.

Is the engine not turning over or is it turning over but will not start? Two entirely different issues.

X2 to @OSS
get it home one way or another, could be a sitting duck out there for thieves

I don't have any good options tonight - will have to pursue options in the morning. Agree your concerns.

Sounds like the starter is trying to start the engine but not "catching" - could be a fuel pump as 3_puppies implies

I’d first verify the starter, that is an easier fix if it is it.

2 parts to the starter.

1. Motor that turns the starter wheel.
2. Solinoid that thrusts the starter up against the flywheel.

If it is “cranking” is it just spinning the starter?

Or is it turning the motor over and not catching.

Could be the starter if it is a spinning sound. And not turning the motor over.

A video of what is going on uploaded to YouTube and shared here might help diagnose.

Also agree with the other members that a tow home is much easier than working in the dark.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Does the CEL light when the key is on but before turning the key to crank? If not the EFI main relay is dead.
Circuit opening relay (COR) in the passenger side footwell may have died. Jump the FP and B+ terminals in the diagnostic box under the hood near the firewall. If engine starts then COR is bad. Jumping the FP and B+ will activate the fuel pump.
Check the fusible link.
One other possibility is that the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) has died. No test for this except to replace it.

Monday morning update: visited truck just after sunrise (still there) - same elements, starter trying, not catching. Particularly cold (for here) 16-18F and due to stay that way for next four days. I have a tow truck on path for midday (once they clear the monday icy emergencies) and taking it to a local mechanic. Thanks for the concerns and inputs. Will probably renew my AAA - I let it lapse last year after not using it in a decade. Happy Holidays.

Will probably renew my AAA
Look into using AAA for car insurance too. That’s what I ended up going with after lots of cross shopping. Best price. And if you ever have to go to the DMV even once in 15 years, the AAA membership is worth it. DMV stuff can be done at a local AAA office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom