First roadside breakdown in four years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Just finished moving from Northern California to Southern California, a 614 mile trip. I was towing an 8 x 10 trailer, fully loaded with our belongings, it felt about Max tow capacity for our fj62(about 150k on it). We stopped before crossing the grapevine(tejon pass) into LA, a long steep 6% grade slope, and let our rig cool down a bit before making the climb. We got through fine, albeit very slow, alternating between second and third gear. About 40 min after making the pass, the car seemed to slip into neutral for a moment, just revving when I attempted to accelerate. I eased off the gas and it went back into gear. It drove fine the rest of the trip maybe doing that one more time. the next day we drove to my moms house, a 30 mile trip, and it drove fine, other then I remember it it took a little longer then normal to shift from third to fourth gear. On our way back our rig seemed to slip out of gear again. I stayed in the right lane, anticipating any possible problems. Not much longer and it slipped out of gear again, this time not going back in. Emergency lights on, we pulled over to the side. Our Truck was sputtering and shut off. We were in a bad spot so I attempted to drive a little further up to a safer pull out. Managed to get it there, but it was sputtering and the power steering didn't come on. Got our first tow the remaining 10 miles home. Now trying to figure out what happened. I checked the obvious, oil level is fine, tranny fluid is fine, ( just changed it a couple months ago). I have little mechanical experience beyond normal maintenance stuff. Any ideas on what could be going on? I hope my transmission isn't toast. Thank you.

There's a lot of strange information there.

Tranny slipping. That's one issue.
Engine sputtering and conking out is another. Loss of power steering assist is another.

Independently, none of those are related to each other. But happening all together while pulling an overloaded trailer up the grapevine is pointing to --- overheating.

Is the radiator filled with coolant?
Did the engine temp rise during the mayhem?
Does the temp gauge work?

There's a lot of strange information there.

Tranny slipping. That's one issue.
Engine sputtering and conking out is another. Loss of power steering assist is another.

Independently, none of those are related to each other. But happening all together while pulling an overloaded trailer up the grapevine is pointing to --- overheating.

Is the radiator filled with coolant?
Did the engine temp rise during the mayhem?
Does the temp gauge work?

I topped the coolant off before heading over grapevine. Temp was higher, as expected for the climb, but still within range, no smoking or burning smells through out the experience. This morning I tried starting it, just kept turning over first attempt. An hour later I tried again and it fired up sounding fine for about 3 seconds before cutting out all together....

Also to clarify, the rig broke down the following day, under normal driving conditions; no slope no towing etc. the first symptom was the tranny slipping following the climb... btw, thanks for the prompt response!

Also possibly related, possibly not, the truck has been sputtering a bit when going down hill in lower gears. I believe it is from a rusty exhaust system/ leak. Just trying to put out all known info...

Two separate things could have happened independently on the grapevine due to the stress: Engine got pissed off, transmission started showing its age.

Right now the engine is the primary concern. Check the easy stuff first to get them out of the equation. Is it getting gas? Fuel filter? Spark plugs? Cables connected firmly? Nothing is disconnected from the engine?

Then maybe check engine compression to rule out head gasket issue?

Maybe get a coolant test kit to rule out exhaust in the coolant.

Two separate things could have happened independently on the grapevine due to the stress: Engine got pissed off, transmission started showing its age.

Right now the engine is the primary concern. Check the easy stuff first to get them out of the equation. Is it getting gas? Fuel filter? Spark plugs? Cables connected firmly? Nothing is disconnected from the engine?

Then maybe check engine compression to rule out head gasket issue?

Maybe get a coolant test kit to rule out exhaust in the coolant.

Alright, getting on it, will report back.

When it rains it pours.... now it's just clicking and not turning over, so starter first before I can continue. Funny, in the past it wouldn't turn over after a hot day of driving, it would just click and I would wait thirty min or so and it would fire up. Well I guess it's best this all happened now before my upcoming trip down Baja....

Clicking and not starting could indeed be your starter...but 1st things 1st in this sitituation...check your battery condition before you start tearing into the starter. Also check your starter contact areas...both positive and ground.

John

^^^, and the + and - connections at the battery, engine and body. Plus the battery itself and alternator.

Clicking and not starting could indeed be your starter...but 1st things 1st in this sitituation...check your battery condition before you start tearing into the starter. Also check your starter contact areas...both positive and ground.

John

^^^, and the + and - connections at the battery, engine and body. Plus the battery itself and alternator.

Just went through something similar where my truck would intermittently just click and nothing. Would get lights, radio, etc. but would not turn over. Thought my starter was doing because the couple time I whacked it with a screwdriver handle it would then fire right up. Come to find it was the negative terminal and body ground points were a bit dirty (some corrosion but nothing bad) and were not making contact. Cleaned all those up and have been going for about 3wks without a single hiccup. So start with a good terminal cleaning and check all your ground spots to ensure everything is connected well.

check battery cables and grounds. check fuse links. test TPS AT ECU. check for cracks in the air intake hose between the filter can and TB. check for other vac leaks. trans slipping is a separate issue...PULL CODES if any.

Update: I ended up taking it in to my local mechanic. Fuel pump wasn't working. Replaced that and the starter now she seems to be running fine again. Thanks for your responses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom