First Generation Toy Pick up as a DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, 5'10"....

I'm stoked to go check it out, I hope its in good condition. The motor is suppose to have less than 100,000 miles on it. But I still want a diesel for it. Is there a thread out there that can school me on Mini Diesel engines. I want the most fuel efficient engine I can find.

I have an 83 mini, 4x4, longbed with a 22r and 5 speed. It's a great daily driver. Not too fast on the highway or uphill, but once under way it runs great. I'm looking to get new cams, new carb, and headers for some extra power. I'd definately recommend one.

I have an 83 mini, 4x4, longbed with a 22r and 5 speed. It's a great daily driver. Not too fast on the highway or uphill, but once under way it runs great. I'm looking to get new cams, new carb, and headers for some extra power. I'd definately recommend one.

Rub it in why dont ya:D Very cool man, throw some pictures up.

Diesel, smiesel. If you just want the odor and fuel mileage, fine. My 85 has a 22r and is none too fast as is. It gets over 20 mpg mixed. They're available everywhere, parts aren't bad, and just about anyone can work on it if you can't do it yourself. Seems like it came factory with about 125 hp. Now, cut that by 40 horses, and need timing belt replacement every 50k. No way you can make it pay out, unless you just use it on the farm with no highway driving. Read this in caps SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW! In other words, a real turd. I wouldn't have one, as I occasionally need to actually manuever in traffic. Just my opinion....normally aspirated 4cyl diesels are a thing of the past for a reason.

o umm sbout the toyota snob thing... you do know that lexus is made by toyota rite?

no its not. toyota is an off brand of kawasaki. and lexus is made by Ford.

Nope, 5'10"....

I'm stoked to go check it out, I hope its in good condition. The motor is suppose to have less than 100,000 miles on it. But I still want a diesel for it. Is there a thread out there that can school me on Mini Diesel engines. I want the most fuel efficient engine I can find.

again, check the FAQ. there is diesel info links

I agree with you on the body style looks cool. I love the flared fenders and round headlights. it looks mean.

when finding one, make sure the drag link isnt too loose.

drive it in 4WD and listen for popping in the front end on tight (not full lock, but close) turns. if you hear that sound, someone took apart the knucke and didnt set the trynion bearing preloads right. wich will require you to fix it. its easy, and simple.

Diesel, smiesel. If you just want the odor and fuel mileage, fine. My 85 has a 22r and is none too fast as is. It gets over 20 mpg mixed. They're available everywhere, parts aren't bad, and just about anyone can work on it if you can't do it yourself. Seems like it came factory with about 125 hp. Now, cut that by 40 horses, and need timing belt replacement every 50k. No way you can make it pay out, unless you just use it on the farm with no highway driving. Read this in caps SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW! In other words, a real turd. I wouldn't have one, as I occasionally need to actually manuever in traffic. Just my opinion....normally aspirated 4cyl diesels are a thing of the past for a reason.

I will pretty much get anyone I can that is in clean condition, I really dont want to touch anything with gapping rust holes.

I drive a lot on 50mph roads...Say 300-350 a week. I just cant drive my roofless, caged 60 much more. I am not ready or willing to start driving some little car. I rather drive somthing I like which would be a 1979-1983 mini. I would like it to be a diesel for the milage but agian I will drive pretty much anything in that area that is not all that rusty.

I went and checked out that 1981 2wd 5speed mini the other night, and although the engine looked great I could not convince myself to get it with visable bondo in the roof and bed.

The search is still on...

-Al

no its not. toyota is an off brand of kawasaki. and lexus is made by Ford.

Actually Lexus is made by Toyota. Ford has Mazda, Mercury, and Jaguar.

Is there a lot more problems about the L-2L that I need to know about? I am not all that worried about slow, my 60 is gear low enough that first gear is useless. Is this common knowledge about the 4 cylinder diesels in the mini truck world? I am kinda new to it. I was just after milage thats all.

Is there a lot more problems about the L-2L that I need to know about? I am not all that worried about slow, my 60 is gear low enough that first gear is useless. Is this common knowledge about the 4 cylinder diesels in the mini truck world? I am kinda new to it. I was just after milage thats all.
My 2L does 15-20mpg, Turbocharged versions are supposed to use less fuel.

From what I've gathered on www.toyotadieselmadness.com the L/2L are decent for a 2WD truck. Slow, but efficient (35mpg or so).

In a 4WD truck, the L and 2L are just too underpowered to be real efficient. They spend all of their time attempting to accelerate the truck, which makes them less efficient than the turbocharged engines. If I were looking to do an older (read: lighter) 4WD pickup, I'd look first at a 3L (2.8L, but normally aspirated and mechanically similar to the L/2L) or a 2L-T (or 2LII-T). I would only consider the 2LT-E as a last resort, as they are a lot more work to install, and they have a very high failure rate over here.

But if you are looking for efficiency, a 2WD truck with a 2L would be hard to beat. If 4WD, maybe the options above, or just go for the gold and get a 1KZ-TE.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I absolutely adore my conversion (and the efficiency is just one of the things I love about it) and would simply never get rid of it. I did my conversion so that someday my truck *could* be converted backk to the factory 22R-E. Even if my diesel blew up tomorrow, I'd simply work out fixing or replacing the diesel. There's no way I'd consider using a gas engine again in my pickup.

Dan

I drive a lot on 50mph roads...Say 300-350 a week. I just cant drive my roofless, caged 60 much more. I am not ready or willing to start driving some little car. I rather drive somthing I like which would be a 1979-1983 mini.

This is ideal.

Out here (far west texas) there are a lot of 20-60 mph ranch roads, all the state highways are 65-75mph. I have a stock 1980 mini w. a 4 speed. It loves the ranch roads. County highways are perfect. It's pretty lonely so at 65 on an empty road I feel like I'm going fast enough (until I get passed by an econo-uv on the way to big bend or a big old cummins dodge headed to Mexico) I ignore them and let them pass, enjoy the drive. On the interstate though I've taken to wearing earplugs. 7 1/2 hrs to Austin gets tiresome passing absolutely no one save the caravans of Toyotas being towed south of the border.

That said, I LOVE this truck! I drove it to Va (2,000 miles one way) over Christmas. Truck worked great. My ass got a bit worn out. Super reliable. 20,000 miles since June. I too really like the stock, clean trucks. You should buy one right away.

I had a 62 before, this is not the same at all (of course). Way tiny. Way noisy. No room in cab. Charming as hell. Looks badass. (last 2 are 60 series perks too, but this one is more efficient for sure, and its size is great for the desert trails.

I want to track down a 5 speed trans. I got distracted from my search / research on the ideal swap to talk up my own stuff. ;p

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/137510-readers-rides-pics-specs-your-toy-s-12.html#post5014348

I missed an '81 for sale in Oregon two years ago when I sold my 62 and it got me so riled up I spent a year looking for the one I now own. It was not for sale, I just made a good pitch and got it for a fair price ($2,200) w. 59,000 miles on it.

I don't know about diesels and grey-market Aussie trucks. Cool and all but a good hobby for dudes with cash and time. Can't see how you'd ever make up the price difference in fuel savings.

as to parts availability, I live in a town of 2,000 people 3 hrs from a big box store of any kind. We have a NAPA. they stock most normal things like brake and ignition parts, belts etc. 1-2 days for most anything else, tops.

Some guy woke me up at 7 on a saturday wanting to buy my truck. Has to be a good sign.

someone posted this on here somewhere. it's the worst (read: best) thing I ever found.

States

they are out there! But really, look behind things in your own area! Post pics and let us all see what you do. This thread is getting too long, no thanks to my post... We demand results!

Good luck!

DB
DSC07450.jpg
DSC05967.jpg

Hell, got so carried away I didn't notice that dang thread was 3 years old...

apologies to all.

still....

Cheers to the Minitruck!:cheers:

I use my 2L 2.4 diesel powered 1982 Hilux as one of my daily drivers. It often sees 500-800km (300-500mi) per week, and runs 33" mud tyres and 4 speed gearbox. It's fine. I get about 9.5-10.5L/100km (22-25mpg).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom