First Generation Toy Pick up as a DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No worries and thanks for the info, cool stories.

I picked up a bone stock faded 1983 Hilux about 2 years ago...

I started by getting a good paint job on it to protect it from the elements, drove it non-stop and ended up blowing headgasket. I replaced with a 2004 2RZ motor out of a Tacoma. I can cruise about 80-85 on the highway now. I normally get low 20's driving it around... I think it turned out to be a good blend of old and new.

I also add a bunch of "sleeper" offroad things but this thread is more about on road driving. The seats also had to go for some newer ones...
IMG_6086.jpg
DSCN2092.JPG
lux3.jpg

2007 Nissan Altima seats... They are a little big for it but it makes driving much more enjoyable. Getting newer seats out of a car seemed the way to go, a car company is going to spend more money and time trying to make there seats more comfortable than any aftermarket seat company. So, I just read reviews on some new jap cars til I found a set I liked.

That thing is cherry. I just got back from New Zealand and that's all they had there. Sick Toyota Hiluxs, dual cabs, flat backs, 70 series, 45 series, Diesels, I was getting whip lash looking at all the trucks and cruisers...

Thanks. It'll look a lot better after the new steel bars go on.

I'm wondering if later model Hilux seats fit without too much effort. I'd rather not have to deal with modifying rails, mounts, etc.

Lowtide-

I've seen your truck on here elsewhere and didn't make the connection. It's a beauty. I'd say you did a fine job finding one! And I really like the low-key approach to your mods.

Here's hoping I don't blow a head gasket any time soon... Thinking about 5 speeds but not motors! A new front oil seal is about all I am up for just now and I'm not doing so good at making that happen as I have a terrible hangover and we've been having dust storms for 2 days. No fun for working on the truck... (dust or hangovers)

that is a sweet Hilux! None whatsoever around here.

here's a photo of my seat mods...

The towel helps hide a rather sizable hole and adds padding.

Bolts right up to the factory holes, no problem
DSC07113.jpg

Nissan Altima seats fit directly in place of Hilux seats you say? I checked, I think they're called a Nissan Maxima here. Chances of one being in a wrecker is pretty much zero.

I was wondering if later model Hilux seats fit?

Getting back to the daily driver part of the thread. I used to have an '84 SR5 2wd reg cab, It had started to fall apart so I parked it at a friends farm at 400,000 km. It had the 22re and a 5 speed.
Loved that truck only to find out that after a month he sent it to the wreckers without even giving me a heads up first. I guess he forgot about the " you can park it out back for as long as you want" part of the conversation. That was a few years back though.
i now enjoy my '87 4Runner that is lifted and locked with 33's and a 22re. Not a good daily driver when I have to commute daily about 100 miles, I am hating the cavalier I am currently using and would love to have another pick up.
It would have to be an extra cab, 2wd and get great mileage. I forget what my old one used to get but I don't remember it being too bad, I did after all put about 400,000 km on it.
Does anyone have an idea what kind of mileage an 80's truck would get with this set up? I will assume that it would be worse than the cavalier, but by how much? I only want a 2wd as I have the 4Runner for offroading.
I figure that when I decide what to get I will head back down to Texas and try to get a rust free one like I did with the 4Runner.

I run an '80 longbed 4x4 for work trips that see any dirt or snow. I usually get at least 17-18 mpg all around and on a good highway run I get up to 22 mpg. I really like the 20r and 4 speed with the 4.37 gearing. I have also been slapping on a set of 34" swampers on the weekend for wheeling duty. I run a welded rear and an aussie locker out front but it looks stock so it is kind of a sleeper.

Comfort items and interior are a little spartan but I really like the simple no nonsense feel of the truck. I just love putting miles on it.

Lowtide-

I've seen your truck on here elsewhere and didn't make the connection. It's a beauty. I'd say you did a fine job finding one! And I really like the low-key approach to your mods.

Here's hoping I don't blow a head gasket any time soon... Thinking about 5 speeds but not motors! A new front oil seal is about all I am up for just now and I'm not doing so good at making that happen as I have a terrible hangover and we've been having dust storms for 2 days. No fun for working on the truck... (dust or hangovers)

Thanks man... Here's hoping you don't blow a HG too:beer::beer:

.. It would have to be an extra cab, 2wd and get great mileage. I forget what my old one used to get but I don't remember it being too bad, I did after all put about 400,000 km on it.
Does anyone have an idea what kind of mileage an 80's truck would get with this set up?..

A friend on the Big Island has a '85 2WD standard cab with the 22RE. He's reported over 30MPG driving from one side of the island to the other. That's impressive!
Lowtideride's mini is a beautiful piece of work. Do those first generation pickups have less leg and headroom than my '92?

untitled2.jpg

1982toy3.jpg

untitled6.jpg

daily driven for past 3 years 1 year with the 22re. I get about 17-18 city and 21 high way. Tires are 35 and gears 5.29

No worries and thanks for the info, cool stories.

I picked up a bone stock faded 1983 Hilux about 2 years ago...

I started by getting a good paint job on it to protect it from the elements, drove it non-stop and ended up blowing headgasket. I replaced with a 2004 2RZ motor out of a Tacoma. I can cruise about 80-85 on the highway now. I normally get low 20's driving it around... I think it turned out to be a good blend of old and new.

I also add a bunch of "sleeper" offroad things but this thread is more about on road driving. The seats also had to go for some newer ones...

How easy was the swap? Electrical and bolting it up? Did you use the Tacoma tranny/tcase or the original?

Just asking as I just picked this up and thinking about it being my DD. Well...in all honesty, it is my DD as I sold my '94 2wd pickup in 20 minutes yesterday on CList.:D I guess I priced it too low.
The 20R runs well, but just thinking what the cost of upgrade would be.

Also, the cab is in good shape, but the bed has a few issues along with the tail gate. Any places to buy replacement beds/tailgates?

Used to have a 40 and I know parts were plentiful...just don't know of any 1st gen places yet.
Truck811.jpg
Truck812.jpg

I picked up a motor with 14k on it for 1000 and figure another 1500 in random parts (cat, wiring harness, Maf air flow, 2 O2's, exhaust, clutch, flywheel, EFI fuel tank,ECU, A/C etc etc...

I think if you just found a rolled Tacoma and bought it you could save some money.

It was a decent amount of wiring and figuring out how to make everything fit. Overall the project was not too bad, sure did watch a lot of movies while wiring and paging thru wiring diagrams. The exhaust was rather interesting as it dumps out on the opposite side of the rig. I used a W59 Bellhousing Bolted to a W-56E tranny, I run Marlins Duals behind it. I don't think you would want a stock Tacoma case as it is a Drivers side drop. You could always run the W-59 Tranny /adapter/stock t-case.

I ran into the same problem with my bed, I bough it near rust free but living on the beach is doing its number on the bed. There is a fiberglass reproduction one you can get out of Canada, there is a few month wait for them so if you want one I would call a few months ahead of time. I think there are a few metal side pieces out there you can buy but I have heard the quality is not there. I hope to have the fiberglass one by June, (ordered in December)... I will make sure to post up pictures when it comes in.

I ran into the same problem with my bed, I bough it near rust free but living on the beach is doing its number on the bed. There is a fiberglass reproduction one you can get out of Canada, there is a few month wait for them so if you want one I would call a few months ahead of time. I think there are a few metal side pieces out there you can buy but I have heard the quality is not there. I hope to have the fiberglass one by June, (ordered in December)... I will make sure to post up pictures when it comes in.

Yeah...I saw that place. Seemed like an option for sure. Didn't see any prices on there website...what does a bed run? Did you also get the tail gate?

Just curious....maybe I need to give them a call :)

was a daily driver for YEARS, i bought it new in 1985..............still running strong----:D:D:D:D....kinda like a weekly driver now.....

BigBuckClub017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom